Cat hates carrier - nothing has worked

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone -

One of my cats is EXTREMELY unwilling to get into the carrier for the vet. We have tried everything - leaving it out (we actually have four carriers that are out at all times), using Feliway, putting treats in it, putting in blankets that smell like us - and nothing works. She's like a supervillain: she learns from every attempt and just gets better at outsmarting us. To make things worse, she gets very stressed when we do try to load her into the carrier. Like, sheer terror. On one occasion (she needed to go to the ER, so the benefits outweighed the emotional costs) she actually became so upset that she needed oxygen.

I thought I could get around this by having the vet come to the home yesterday, but she was still terrified - she actually tried to climb UP the door to get away and cried through the first ten minutes they were there.

Does anyone have any different ideas? I'm all out of them. :stars:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have different types of carriers available? My first cat HATED her softsided Sherpa carrier and was very good at clawing at the zippers to keep us from getting her into it, but she was much less scared of the hard-sided carrier we bought for her, and it was easier to get her into it because the door latched very quickly.

Draping a towel over the side to block the view/noise also helped a bit.

Is your cat normally terrified of strangers, or just this vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have tried multiple types, unfortunately. :confused: My thought was that she’d do well with a soft-sided or top-loading carrier but it was just as unsuccessful. The vet also discovered that she is unusual for a cat in that a towel makes her MORE anxious and upset.

She doesn’t love strangers, no. When we adopted her she hid upstairs for almost two weeks before she came down and explored the house. She isn’t terrified, but she definitely needs to move at her own pace. Even with us, she prefers to sit on the steps and watch rather than get right in the middle of stuff.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be radical, but what about a harness instead? Walk him like a dog to the vet? I know it’s hard in the car, but maybe she would feel more comfortable in the open.

our boy Trin would rub his nose raw on every carrier we put him in. We felt so bad, and when he got sick he needed a lot of vet visits. We ended up making sure two of us were available and we let him loose in the backseat of the car. He was so much calmer and his nose would remain intact. My boyfriend was in the back with him to watch he didn’t bother me while I drove. We still had to use the carrier to and from the car, but the longish ride he was much better. If she can try a harness, maybe that would be easier on her nerves?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might not help, if she's still stressed/anxious once in the carrier, but for a normal end opening carrier, here's a tip my vet suggested that has helped me with my Ruby.

Put the carrier on a counter, table, etc. (something high) with the end with the door right on the edge. With the door open, pick up the cat and quickly face him towards the opening. Since the cat, and carrier, are up high, the cat will have no option but to walk inside the carrier to turn around. Once cat is in the carrier, quickly close the door.

My Ruby was horrible getting in the carrier. You know, how suddenly 4 legs seem to become a dozen, and none of them go in the carrier! Well I've used this method ever since my vet suggested it, and it really works. I would suggest, however, if your cat is squirmy, to wear long sleeves, and maybe glasses (to protect your eyes).

It may not work for you, but it's worth trying.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, how suddenly 4 legs seem to become a dozen, and none of them go in the carrier!
Yes! Olive is the sweetest and most docile cat, but carrier time she is suddenly a spider monkey and my BF and I can barely work together to get her in her carrier! Definitely trying this method next time.

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the harness idea. Does she allow you to hold her? I'm thinking you could pick her up with the harness on, carry her to the car and coax her into the back seat with a positive reinforcer, like a treat. (Maybe not a toy, though, since you'll be driving!)

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a home call vet in your area?
Yes, I thought that was my solution! They came yesterday and they were lovely. But my cat was just as upset. I feel terrible making her stressed but she does need to get medical care.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can ask the vet about giving a sedative before vet visits to make the visit easier for everyone.

Have you tried a pet stroller? It might be less scary than a carrier. I'm not sure if a stroller can sort of fold up to be placed in a car and still keep the cat contained within.

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can ask the vet about giving a sedative before vet visits to make the visit easier for everyone.

Have you tried a pet stroller? It might be less scary than a carrier. I'm not sure if a stroller can sort of fold up to be placed in a car and still keep the cat contained within.
It's funny that you mention this because I LITERALLY just got off the phone with the vet about her bloodwork. Since she might need more testing, they're prescribing her gabapentin to take before she has to come in. Fingers crossed that that takes the edge off.

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might not help, if she's still stressed/anxious once in the carrier, but for a normal end opening carrier, here's a tip my vet suggested that has helped me with my Ruby.

Put the carrier on a counter, table, etc. (something high) with the end with the door right on the edge. With the door open, pick up the cat and quickly face him towards the opening. Since the cat, and carrier, are up high, the cat will have no option but to walk inside the carrier to turn around. Once cat is in the carrier, quickly close the door.

My Ruby was horrible getting in the carrier. You know, how suddenly 4 legs seem to become a dozen, and none of them go in the carrier! Well I've used this method ever since my vet suggested it, and it really works. I would suggest, however, if your cat is squirmy, to wear long sleeves, and maybe glasses (to protect your eyes).

It may not work for you, but it's worth trying.
This is a great idea, thank you! And yes, I know exactly what you mean about 4 legs suddenly becoming a dozen. I have scars all down my chest from previous vet trips 🙃

loftusrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This might be radical, but what about a harness instead? Walk him like a dog to the vet? I know it’s hard in the car, but maybe she would feel more comfortable in the open.

our boy Trin would rub his nose raw on every carrier we put him in. We felt so bad, and when he got sick he needed a lot of vet visits. We ended up making sure two of us were available and we let him loose in the backseat of the car. He was so much calmer and his nose would remain intact. My boyfriend was in the back with him to watch he didn’t bother me while I drove. We still had to use the carrier to and from the car, but the longish ride he was much better. If she can try a harness, maybe that would be easier on her nerves?
We will try this, thank you! Glad it was easier on your boy. ☺

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
There.s many videos on YouTube for this. Have you seen the show "My Cat From H*ll"? (I don't think TCS allows that word Lol) The main guy is Jackson Galaxy, and he has many shows on helping people with that.

I would try to put a treat in front of the carrier and wait and let the cat sniff&eat the treat. Then praise/pet. Do that more until your cat just goes and eats without hesitation. Soon, put the treat IN the carrier. But not very deep in, wait for the cat to sniff&eat the treat. Then praise/pet. (Make sure your treats are VERY "nom nom" motivated.) Soon put the treat deeper and deeper until the cat walks fully in the carrier.

This might take days weeks or even months.
So be patient.
I hope your cat becomes friends with the carrier! :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It helps to get a large carrier even for a small cat. You could also turn it vertical and drop her in. Or, put the carrier in your closet or bedroom, take her in,and shut the door. Also easier to do if you both are on the floor and inches away from the carrier. I bought one that zips so it's easier to close the entrance fast . Good luck!

!a

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having cats for many years, I totally empathize with you.

Put your cats favorite treats or tuna in back the carrier... always worked for me. Once she's in, put a towel over the entire thing to help calm her down.

I've done the in-home vet visit a few times too. It will minimize a lot of stress for her. However, some cats are afraid of strangers coming in the house and they hide. I hope she doesn't do that.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
It helps to get a large carrier even for a small cat. You could also turn it vertical and drop her in. Or, put the carrier in your closet or bedroom, take her in,and shut the door. Also easier to do if you both are on the floor and inches away from the carrier. I bought one that zips so it's easier to close the entrance fast . Good luck!

!a
Great ideas! The larger the carrier the better. One with a front and top door is good to have too.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have tried multiple types, unfortunately. :confused: My thought was that she’d do well with a soft-sided or top-loading carrier but it was just as unsuccessful. The vet also discovered that she is unusual for a cat in that a towel makes her MORE anxious and upset.

She doesn’t love strangers, no. When we adopted her she hid upstairs for almost two weeks before she came down and explored the house. She isn’t terrified, but she definitely needs to move at her own pace. Even with us, she prefers to sit on the steps and watch rather than get right in the middle of stuff.
It sounds to me that she experienced a trauma when she was caught or transported to where you adopted her, if it was at a shelter and everytime you use a carrier it triggers her fear. The fear could be from being handled poorly, being took away from her litter and mother at an early age, or many other things.

Does she get in boxes or avoids them? Most cats like boxes. If she likes boxes and you have hard carriers that you can remove the top part of the carrier, take it apart so it resembles a box and maybe she will get use to it. Unscent the carrier(s) also. While we can't smell it, there are scents lingering in or on it that could be fear released and it triggers her reactions.

The carriers you leave out, are they in the open or have you tucked them in a corner and covered them with a thick towel or blanket so it is almost cave like? Cats tend to like cave like shelters so they can hide from site.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard people say their cat hates traditional carriers but love these bag type carriers- https://www.chewy.com/cat-in-bag-e-z-zip-cat-carrier/dp/168646

Maybe it’s not being inside the enclosed space that’s less stressful? Or the slight pressure is comforting to them? Not sure. I haven’t personally tried these ever but if you read the reviews some cats like them so it may be worth a shot! Especially if you have the option to return it if it doesn’t work out.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard people say their cat hates traditional carriers but love these bag type carriers- https://www.chewy.com/cat-in-bag-e-z-zip-cat-carrier/dp/168646

Maybe it’s not being inside the enclosed space that’s less stressful? Or the slight pressure is comforting to them? Not sure. I haven’t personally tried these ever but if you read the reviews some cats like them so it may be worth a shot! Especially if you have the option to return it if it doesn’t work out.
I bought that months ago and have not been able to use it. There must be a secret way. I tried putting her in vertical. Didnt work. I wonder if it's because cats cannot see when its pitch black. And clostrophobic