Cat hasn't returned home for over a day

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's time to get a trap and starting to plan how to set it up. If you haven't moved Fudge's brother inside completely, you are likely going to have to do that if you still think he is intimidating Fudge. The longer you wait, the less the odds are of getting him back. Other people feeding him, perhaps even someone who will trap him themselves and take him to a rescue shelter, or worse. Is he chipped? Better get flyers to all the nearby shelters/centers/vets' offices in preparation for someone else trapping him, or taking him in for their own. If the latter occurs, at least there will be a lost notice on record.

If he is still coming to eat, you set the 'trap' nearby, but keep placing his food as usual. You could even place some treats inside the trap, but don't set it up to close - just to see if he would go into it for treats. Gradually, move the food closer to the trap, eventually getting the food in front of the trap. Then, closer to the opening of the trap, and so on until the food is actually inside the trap door, and then even further into the trap. You need a trap that doesn't close until you are ready to do so. Maybe your neighbors who saw him before would be willing to do the same? Do you have a camera set up to watch his movements?

The trap type, I would have to leave up to a rescue center to advise you on, and how you can devise it to do different things. Ideally, you would want a trap that can left open initially, setting it up later to close if you find he is entering it. As I said, the rescue center will most certainly have better ideas than I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's time to get a trap and starting to plan how to set it up. If you haven't moved Fudge's brother inside completely, you are likely going to have to do that if you still think he is intimidating Fudge. The longer you wait, the less the odds are of getting him back. Other people feeding him, perhaps even someone who will trap him themselves and take him to a rescue shelter, or worse. Is he chipped? Better get flyers to all the nearby shelters/centers/vets' offices in preparation for someone else trapping him, or taking him in for their own. If the latter occurs, at least there will be a lost notice on record.
Accidentally reported your reply when I was meant to purraise it, sorry about that!

I don't think other people are feeding him, because he's very timid and scared of strangers. But given he's been outside for a while, he might have started as my neighbour said she saw him go up to her house last week. He and Toffee are both neutered and chipped, the shelter we adopted them from has a policy where none of the cats go home unless they're neutered and chipped.

We have put out posters in the local supermarket's missing pets section - I have seen Fudge come to the garden at night (but then leave as soon as he has had his food, so sadly I couldn't get him in time) so I know he's in the neighbourhood, and neighbours are on the lookout too.

This whole situation has been pretty soul destroying - I feel like I've lost a part of myself. Toffee and Fudge have helped me so much in my recovery from depression and anxiety.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Toffee was attributing to Fudge's hesitance, that might help now that he is inside all the time. How is it going with trap preparations/planning?
I will be honest, I haven't got about to trapping yet. I'm worried it will upset Fudge and will deter him further, because he's very sensitive about things like that.