Cat hasn’t pooped in 4 days

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Late Wednesday night, I had to rush my cat to the emergency vet because she was vomiting and collapsed. The vet found that she had a severely upset stomach and small intestines. They diagnosed her with Gastroenteritis: passed foreign body or eating something that didn’t sit well. They got her stabilized and kept her for two nights. She was doing really well and even ate a little at the hospital, so they sent her home Friday morning. They prescribed her two medications. Amoxicillin (an antibiotic) every twelve hours for 5 days, and Gabapentin (a pain killer) every twelve hours for 3-4 days as needed. They also said to feed her a bland diet for the next 3 days. I have been giving her her medication with success( they are both in liquid forms so it’s pretty easy). She has been eating a mixture of homemade bland food and prescription bland wet food that the vet gave me. She hasn’t been eating that much though, mostly because she sleeps all day(the gabapentin makes her very tired). She doesn’t seem to be in pain and she drinks plenty of water. She has been peeing regularly. The only concern I have is that she hasn’t pooped in the past four days. Since we got her Friday morning until today she hasn’t pooped, or even tried to poop. Me and my family have been monitoring her 24/7, because I know how important her being able to pass stool is. Should I be concerned? She has been eating mostly liquids and mush, but she ate quite a bit of boiled chicken breast on Friday and still hasn’t pooped it out. I am slowly transitioning her back to her original diet, will that solve her problem? I just wanted to get some insight from you guys to see if I need to call the vet about it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs input to produce output. If she hasn't been eating much in the past few days, that could explain the lack of poop. Keep with the slow transition so as not to upset her stomach again. And a call to the vet might help too as the vet knows her recent history and condition better than we do. As long as she's eating again, she should eventually pass stool once more. If she seems to be straining or vocalizing in the box, another call to the vet would be recommended.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd call the vet. My boy gets severe constipati I n requiring an enema on pain medications. While it could be a simple not enough input to create output, you wouldn't want it to go on too long if it is constipation.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
since they thought she had an obstruction at one point, do you know if she had a large bowel movement at the Vet's office before they released her? If she pretty much emptied out, and hasn't eaten much since that time, then it's not so odd that she hasn't done anything since being home. But how is she acting other than seeming drugged from the Gabapentin? Does she act like she is uncomfortable in any way? If so, I would call your Vet and ask if you should do anything to help her along.

I can't find that constipation is a side effect of either of those two drugs, so I don't think that's the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any update for us? Hoping for good news!!
I do have an update! Sorry that I wasn’t replying, I was very busy yesterday.
So Chunky pooped yesterday morning. She didn’t strain or vocalize while doing it so I don’t think she is constipated. The poop was dark brown and softer than her usual poop, but that is normal when cats are on antibiotics. Her last dose of antibiotics was yesterday night, so now we are just watching her to see how she feels. She seems to be doing very well, she eats normally, sleeps normally, and plays normally. My other two cats have finally accepted her back. Thank you guys for your reply’s!