Cat hasn't pooped in 2 days since she got spayed

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey folks! I have another spay-related question.

My cat Small got spayed on Monday. She was, understandably, groggy until Tuesday afternoon which is when she started eating little by little on her own without me having to put the bowl very close to her nose. She only started getting energetic with the munching earlier this morning (Thursday).

After her meds on Monday, she pooped a tiny bit, but so far, she hasn't gone again as of today on Thursday. She's eating and peeing fine, and is even a little bit too active for my liking, but the lack of poop in the litter box is kinda bothering me.

I was wondering if this is a cause for concern. For context, I also lowered down her meals for a bit because I had a problem with a previous cat before where I apparently overfed her after surgery and it lead to some scary swelling. Would love some insight!

Thanks folks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Between the anesthesia (and, maybe pain meds as well?) and her eating less, it might take some time for her system to get 'back in rhythm'. Anesthesia and pain medications can slow down the digestive tract.

You could try to give her a tiny amount of Miralax (1/8 tsp) mixed with a lit bit of water and add that to some of her food. Maybe 1/16 tsp would be enough if she is very young and a fairly small cat. It should show results by tomorrow. If that doesn't work, you probably should call the vet and let them know what is going on to see if they have other recommendations.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It happens with surgery and anesthesia. If she's eating regularly that's a good sign. If she doesn't go by tomorrow could you ring the clinic or vet where she was spayed and check with them? They've seen and handled her so they should be able to provide you with directions/reassurance.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was off food prior to surgery and hasn't eaten much since then. It's very common for them to not poop for a day or so after surgery because nothing is in their bellies and GI tract to come out. Give it another day and be sure you're giving her a good wet food to help keep things moving along.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Small pet stores I buy for my cat quail,duck, or venison in pumpkin. Tiki has something similar in packets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey folks! Thanks for the suggestions <3 Thankfully, Small is back to going to the bathroom normally the night I posted this hehe I'll keep this in mind for next time

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey folks! Thanks for the suggestions <3 Thankfully, Small is back to going to the bathroom normally the night I posted this hehe I'll keep this in mind for next time
Great news! Happy all is back to normal :)