Cat hasn't eaten for 5 WEEKS! -- But tests can't find the cause (Medical Mystery)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it's fair to blame the vet. Vets may know common side effects of medicines and pet products but not possible uncommon adverse reactions. Pet owners should take the the time to read the info printed on the package and the little prescribing info sheet that may be included inside the package. The info includes safety information and lists of common side effects and reported adverse reactions. Here's the prescribing info sheet for Revolution Plus for cats (couldn't find a Bravecto one): https://www.zoetisus.com/_locale-assets/pdf/revolution-plus-prescribing-information.pdf

For small amounts of medicines that the vet dispenses in office (say 10 steroid pills), it may not come with any prescribing info other than the dosing amount and frequency on the vet printed label. It's easy enough to find the general prescribing info online or just ask the vet.

The FDA actually has a warning for flea and tick products, including Bravecto, that can cause neurological adverse reactions: Neurologic Event Potential and Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard, Simparica

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always trusted the vet to never give my pets something that might hurt them, but times change and vets seem to be on the 'most do okay with this' place. (My cat has had unexpected allergic reactions to several medicines, so I'm used to reading up on meds.) LTS3 is right, you should research every medicine your vet suggests. That will mean telling the vet you'll let him know and if you decide to accept the medicine you'll come back to get it. That may mean two exam trips, but it will give you time to research the medicine since,

However, I do not blame OP for trusting her vet. We are raised to trust our doctors and vets. Times change. Generally, I think your vet wants your pet to do well, the companies that make pet products - medicines and foods and toys - aren't very invested in your individual pet's life. They know that if you lose one, you'll probably get another and keep buying their product. This is why you now need to research everything that comes near your pets.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just in case, for future reference (I'm not affiliated) Only Natural Pet's Easy Defense flea and tick spray is very effective. I apply a very small amount to a paper towel and lightly brush that along the fur on the back of his neck, and it really works.
Great to know!! 👍

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have to research anything you use on cats. I personally only use the original Revolution on my cats and only as needed. I haven’t needed to in years. I would never use the Revolution Plus.as it also is linked to neurological issues.
You must always look at all the ingredients in a product and research everything. Don’t trust that because a product says it is safe for cats that it is. Don’t trust advice from well meaning pet store employees. They don’t know. Also just because a product is natural, does not make it safe. All essential oils are toxic to cats. Pyrethrins are toxic to cats and they are made from chrysanthemums. Some of theses toxins won’t effect a cat until it has built up in their system enough to be toxic. So, be very careful and remember anything you put on your cat, they will lick off and injest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

albertoveloso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Lovers,

I totally agree that anything for cats AND dogs needs to be researched. It all happened so fast that the vet found what she alleged to be "flea poop" (but no actual fleas themselves). Then seconds later took her into the back to administer the Bravecto. It's my greatest regret that I didn't speak up and say no. I just honestly couldn't imagine that she would give the cat something that could be toxic. Rest assured that from this day forth, I won't let any vet give anything (not even a glass of water) without thorough research.

I also promise to keep this forum updated with whatever happens, good or bad. Hopefully the cat-only hospital we're going to this weekend can provide more guidance.

Thanks to all of you for the advice given so far.

Best wishes,
Alberto

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To chime in re: ear infection, the cat should stay on medication until 1-2 weeks after there is no signs. So the vet followed the proper protocol in that sense.

Most medical things for humans and pets have high adverse risks. If we look at many over-the-counter bottles's risks, many people would limit the use much more.

When a study is done if a medicine is safe, it's done on cats who are fairly healthy (or single condition only). So we don't really get statistics on what happens when sick(er) cats have it until later.

Its quite possible that the combination of something was the culprit. The reaction should be reported, as it's the only way for the medical companies to gather data. Then they can look it over and say, "Okay we have x number of cats reacting this way when both on our medication and this antibiotic." Then they can provide this information to vets etc. (This is an example.)

Last edited by a moderator:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is all too awful! I'm sure you're busy trying to deal with it all, but I hope you keep us updated. I'm almost afraid to ask how your cat's doing now.

albertoveloso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great, news, Cat Lovers!!!!

My cat (Weezy) finally ate some food!!!! It's hard to know what finally did the trick because we tried 3 different things at once. 1) We stopped giving her antibiotics (Veraflox) because as the vet said, and I quote, "let's give her a break and see what happens," 2) We started a new bottle of her steroids (Prednisolone). I was convinced that the previous bottle was defective because she wasn't reacting as she normally does on steroids and the label on the bottle was wrong, so I got a new batch, and 3) With the vet's recommendation, we stopped tube-feeding her to see if she was feeling too "full" from the tube food, and therefore didn't want to eat on her own. We started her "tube fast" on Wednesday at 8pm, and on 7pm Thursday, she finally ate!!!!

Getting her to eat also took some coaxing. I noticed that she was grooming herself, so I put a bit of Churu Chicken flavored treat on her paw to see if she would clean it off. She did, and she seemed to like it, so I put some on her food, and she eat it up! I repeated the process for breakfast the next morning, and it worked again! Then for lunch. And by the time dinner came around on the 2nd day, she didn't need the Churu treat anymore. She was just eating the food. Today is day 3 and she ate breakfast without a problem. Hopefully, this trend will continue.

She still has ataxia and the exact cause of all this remains a mystery, but her eating is such a relief!

I'll post another update as she gets better to let everyone know that she's truly out of the woods. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!!!

albertoveloso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Friends!

After 10 days of consecutive eating, my cat Weezy got her e-tube removed! YAY!!! And she's still eating. It's been quite a wild ride, but hopefully she's on the road to recovery. If there are any other big improvements or changes, I'll update this forum.

Thanks again to all of you for your help! This site is the best!

I leave you with some pictures of a tube-less Weezy. Enjoy :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: