Cat hasn't been to the vet in almost a decade

LexiRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody:) I have a cat who is almost fifteen years old only a few years younger than me. The last time he saw a vet he was probably between 3-5. My parents decided fighting to catch him and get him into the car wasn't worth the hassle and was probably stressing him out more than helping. Now that I'm the age where I'd be allowed to make his appointments and take him I definitely want to, but again, it's been 10ish years and I'm worried about the vet thinking he's in a unloving household and I'm worried about the stress it'll cause to my cat. I believe he may have arthritis in his hip and I'm terrified about anything else that may be wrong. What can I do to get the appointment done safely for everyone involved?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi LexiRose LexiRose and welcome to TCS!
It's great that you're taking this on.
As far as the vet is concerned, just take him. No good vet is going to give lectures, and it will be obvious from your relationship with your cat that he's loved.
As for getting him there.. do you ever take him anywhere in a carrier?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm terrified about anything else that may be wrong.
So I wanted to reply to this part because when I take my animals to the vet, that's the first thing that I think. "What could be wrong." The thing I have learned is that if something is wrong, it's going to be wrong whether you find out or not. The difference is being able to possibly treat something in time, and being able to do that means going and getting your kitty checked. So don't let fear chase you off. It's better to know, in the long run.

I also don't think the vet will judge you based on something you can't control. If they ask, be honest. I'm sure the vet will not think your cat is in an unloving home. Many people fail to take their cats to the vets for check ups, not saying it's great but it happens. Sometimes we forget that they need to go when nothing seems wrong. I've been guilty of that in the past, but trying to make sure I stay on top of it these days.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find leaving my cats’ carrier out all of the time makes the carrier less scary. Mine actually like to sleep in their carrier! Also, while it probably won’t help you for the initial visit, there are some medications the vet can prescribe to make future vet visits easier.

I would also suggest having senior bloodwork performed to catch underlying disease.

Finally know that the stress she may undergo is ultimately for her wellbeing and that it’s short lived. See if you have a cat only vet around you. My cats fine cat only clinics to be less stressful.