Cat Has Zero Interest In Food Past 24 hours

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. This morning Zoe showed zero interest in eating. A few hours later she threw up a hairball and I was relieved. Then I went to feed her dinner and same thing - no interest. She has had a larger than normal appetite the past month which I found concerning. I took her to the e-vet and they made sure she wasn’t blocked, but there was an 8-10 hour wait, so I took her home and will call early tomorrow morning to see if they can fit her in. Why do these things always happen on weekends. She is in her normal spot on top of the couch, but looks uncomfortable to me. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. PS It’s awful now how the e-vets are always over-flowing and we have two in this area.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could have gas in her tummy which is causing her to feel nauseous. She could have gas in her colon which also causes discomfort and nausea. We have a kitty who gets this from time to time. We give him some Pepcid (plain) to calm his tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have some pecid. I don’t know how i would get it down her as she won’t even touch the pill ppockets. I thought I could pill anything until I tried it with her. Ugh.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are ideas in that link I provided of things you could use to possibly entice her to take the pill .. ..

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I’m back at the e-vet. It’s 1 AM. She tried to throw up and spit up some bile, then stumbled forward, tried to throw up again and ended up falling over and not being to stand up for 30 seconds. She got up and walked and laid down on the cardboard scratcher (which she never does) and then I put her back in the carrier and off we went.

I spoke with the online vet at the pet insurance company (Embrace) during all this and he told me to definitely take her in now. It’s a nice resource.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking! I got home with her from the e-clinic about 9AM (been awhile since I stayed up all night!) They did blood work, urinalysis and an xray. When she first examined her and she squeezed her stomach and she meowed in pain. But..good news…blood work looked good and nothing concerning on xray. She has peed since we got home and ate, but only a tiny bit. They gave her fluids and cerenia and some bland food. The vet said an attack of pancreatitis or something similar. So bottom line, I’m happy because she didn’t get a more serious diagnosis, but worried because she still isn’t quite herself or eating normally.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You must be relieved. Has Zoe had pancreatitis before?
No. She’s had IBD problems - throwing up a lot. I still wonder if she swallowed something from a toy. I don’t leave their toys out, but sometimes feathers and such fall of them and I don’t notice.

Anyway, when I got home the other two had thrown up dinner. Or maybe it was just one of the two. The one who had asthma was had an attack and was sneezing today. Probably shouldn’t have lowered the air purifiers (and I need to keep up with the dusting.)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can't ake about 24 hours with the shots for them to want to eat. I have offered some plain chicken Churus during that time with good success.

Did the vet give some recovery food? Calcifer would only eat that when he had this happen (wasn't pancreatic though).

I also suggest putting something through a blender until it's quite watery and you can use a syringe to drip it to her (without force, but so she can lick) or a spoon or your finger just so she's taste a little.

It's normal to want to not eat as to rest the pancreas after an attack.