Cat Has Yarn Stuck In Throat Help!!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello all! I have a semi feral cat in my back room. I feed her once a day, trying to give her space, since she’s so nervous. I just came back to feed her, and she must have found a ball of yarn. It’s untwined all over the place, and when I trace the string, it lands on her. She has the yarn coming from her mouth. I pulled, hoping it was only a small amount, but no. I pulled probably 2 feet of yarn out of the mouth, and it finally stopped. I don’t know what to do for her. It’s 4 am and no vet is open. Should I give her something to make her throw up?

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, did you get ALL the yarn? If not Stop pulling!!! You could cause internal damage. I am no vet, but I would not recommend inducing vomiting either. It is going to be a long night, but if I were you and kitty is not in severe distress, I would just wait until the vet opens. Keep an eye on her. If something changes, is there a nearby emergency vet or does your vet have an emergency line?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreed - don't pull the string out of the cat. You may cause internal damage. Call the vet anyways. Most vets have an after hours voicemail message with instructions on who to call for emergencies. If your vet doesn't, call other vets in the area and listen to their after hours message.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Agreeing with the other replies! Do not induce vomiting and monitor her closely. If she is not in distress, hopefully you got the yarn out in one piece. Coughing or straining at the litter box some of the things to be of concern.....Never a dull moment, eh?:gaah:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! :(

I agree with the above replies. Please try to take her to the vet, or just a call, to let you know what you should do for the time being.

This is a scene I do not want to witness ever in any of my ferals, strays and my own cats when I get home from work. :(

Let us know what happened.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If by "it finally stopped" you mean all the yarn came out then chances are you're probably ok, but you should make a vet trip as soon as it's open anyway just to be sure. If it stopped pulling and there's still yarn inside the Cat then there's a big problem and you need to get to the vet ASAP.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hello all! I have a semi feral cat in my back room. I feed her once a day, trying to give her space, since she’s so nervous. I just came back to feed her, and she must have found a ball of yarn. It’s untwined all over the place, and when I trace the string, it lands on her. She has the yarn coming from her mouth. I pulled, hoping it was only a small amount, but no. I pulled probably 2 feet of yarn out of the mouth, and it finally stopped. I don’t know what to do for her. It’s 4 am and no vet is open. Should I give her something to make her throw up?
Agreeing with all of the other posters, samanthalogan samanthalogan , and praying you got it all. Cat-proofing can be time-consuming, but it's very strongly recommended for any environment where you're going to give cats access. Anything like yarn, rubber bands, hair ties, etc., that could possibly be harmful to/ingested by cats should be put into a closet, drawer or other place they can't get into. All the best to her and to you, and please keep us updated! :vibes::lovecat4:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely with all that was said above, I just want to add that, cats typically eat twice daily ( some 3) not just once daily. If that is possible for you in any way, it would in the cat's best interest to eat twice daily, just saying. ;) At the very least, do you have dry kibble available 24/7?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely with all that was said above, I just want to add that, cats typically eat twice daily ( some 3) not just once daily. If that is possible for you in any way, it would in the cat's best interest to eat twice daily, just saying. ;) At the very least, do you have dry kibble available 24/7?
Yes the kibble is available all the time :)

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she doing???
She is doing really good. She is still eating, and acting her normal self. She doesn’t seem in distress or anything. Ive been checking her litter box and also her butt to see if their is any yarn in there. None yet. I will of course take her to the vet if I feel anything is majorly wrong, but for now she is alright!

Somebody

Findus' & Simba's dad
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe help her poop more easily with some Miralax, but then I'm no doctor. I would definitely ask a vet first. I had good results with softening the poop and induce it when my cat did not do it for a few days, Miralax is a very good product and does not create cramps or so, but you must make sure she get's enough water

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe help her poop more easily with some Miralax, but then I'm no doctor. I would definitely ask a vet first. I had good results with softening the poop and induce it when my cat did not do it for a few days, Miralax is a very good product and does not create cramps or so, but you must make sure she get's enough water
Thanks for the advice! I will look into that, and try it if she doesn’t poop by the end of the day :) she is still doing well.