Cat has vomited a couple times after neutering

TheRamiro115

Phoebe’s human
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! First time cat owner here.

So, my girl, Phoebe, was neutered exactly one week ago. We’ve been taking care of her and she seems to be back to her playful, crazy, self.
However she’s thrown up two times now: first two days ago, and then just now.
I’ll definitely contact my vet in the morning (is 04:00 AM here), but I decided to join this forum to post my situation, I guess looking for some peace of mind in the meantime.

Is this relatively normal or should I be worried? outside of this she seems completely fine and you wouldn’t guess she just went through a surgery.
Thanks everyone!

I‘ll attach a photo so everyone can get to know our baby.
30A76414-7408-4F3D-B6B2-83C3A00CED64.jpeg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got one of those.
20170806_185303(2).jpg

Not sure its connected to the spay but it could well be a hairball if she has been grooming the area.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She's a cutie! Has she been on any meds following the surgery? That might have upset her stomach a bit causing her to throw up. If not, I would imagine you might be right about the hairball. Feeby typically will throw up some digested food at least once, a day or two before she ends up coughing up a hairball. You can try to feed her a dab of butter/margarine from your finger or place it on her paw to lick it off, for a day or two in a row and see if that might help her pass the hair. To help prevent hairballs in the future, you can give her the same little amount of butter twice a week, or you can add a couple of drops of olive oil to her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheRamiro115

Phoebe’s human
Kitten
Purraise
I've got one of those.
View attachment 407776

Not sure its connected to the spay but it could well be a hairball if she has been grooming the area.
She has indeed been going ham with licking herself lately, perhaps it is hairballs. It’s just that she hasn’t done this before so naturally I grew worried.
Love your cat! I showed it to my wife and at first glance she swore she was looking at a pic of ours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheRamiro115

Phoebe’s human
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. She's a cutie! Has she been on any meds following the surgery? That might have upset her stomach a bit causing her to throw up. If not, I would imagine you might be right about the hairball. Feeby typically will throw up some digested food at least once, a day or two before she ends up coughing up a hairball. You can try to feed her a dab of butter/margarine from your finger or place it on her paw to lick it off, for a day or two in a row and see if that might help her pass the hair. To help prevent hairballs in the future, you can give her the same little amount of butter twice a week, or you can add a couple of drops of olive oil to her food.
Yes! she was on meds for a couple days after the surgery. Her last dose was actually the first day she threw up, so it’s indeed one of my theories.

I've been monitoring her and she seems fine, so I’m just being extra careful.