Cat has trouble coughing up hairball

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started noticing it today in one of my cats that spends much of his time outdoors. It looks like he tried many times unsuccessfully. I ended up giving him 1 tablespoon or more of coconut hoping it will help. Anyone have experience with this?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It maynot be a hairball.  It could be he tried to eat something and it got stuck, or he ate it hair and all and it's having trouble coming back up.  If he continues like this much longer, you should get him checked by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I was thinking too. It doesnt seem to bother him much, but he coughs up other stuff. I bought a hairball laxative, and will try it on him. I hope it will work

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I should. I started giving him a laxative monday to help get out what is in there. It seems he still has heavy breathing at times, and seems to be trying to cough up more than normally. He vomits more, but I never notice any hair. He is sneezing more than normal and seems to have watery eyes too

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

Last edited:

darkxfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I decided to take him in first thing today at a walk in, generally reasonably priced. I had two xrays taken and an ultrasound, and a few medications given to him. Turns out, it wasnt a hairball. Something was obstructing one of his intestines and it had a lot of gas. The urinary test showed an infection, and he also has a upper respiratory virus, since he's constantly coughing and mucus everywhere. I am hoping he will be fine. Ended up having to pay over $1400, but I'm hoping my insurance wont have a problem covering it.