cat has swollen bottom lip

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is maybe around 8 years old. She is a calico and very distant. She only wants to be around you if she wants to. Well the problem. A long time ago  I had taken her to the vets because her bottom lip was swollen. It was around Christmas and I had thought she had eaten some poinsetta. Then after that  I had thought she was chewing on my artifical tree. Well he gave her some medicine and still not sure what it was or if it even worked. And after all that the tree and plant weren't the problem. The lip went down and no more problems. Then one day she had a swollen lip again. Well she runs around like a mad cat so I had thought she bumped her mouth on something. That went on for a while and I don't really think it was that, I do believe that has happened to her but not really the problem. This has been going on for a long time. Now today she has a swollen lip again. Does anyone know what this could be? Because of how long this has been going on I can't really say its a food allergy either. Her teeth look fine or I think the vet would of said something to me. Any help would be appreciated.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take a picture?  It's very hard to say with any confidence based on what you've said what it really is.  Allergic response, injury, growth?  Another vet visit would seem in order as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stephen Q hello,   I have some pictures of my cats lip but I'm not sure how to send them. Could you help me out? Thanks

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
please just take her in instead of relying on advice here. if she is mostly white it could be serious.

maybe @StephenQ  is busy

Last edited:

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is the picture. Hopefully its clear enough. She has black on part of her mouth so its hard to see. Its been like this so many times. She has been to the vets. I tried recently to feed her different food thinking it was a food allergy. But after I think back she has had different food along time ago and still had the same problem. She is not a real sociable cat. She screams and hollers if the other cat goes near her and then fly's away. So half the time I think she hits her face off of something. But I keep trying to think what it could be coming from, that's why I asked to see if anyone had any ideas or had this problem themselves. Thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Since this is something she's had a couple of times and it's gone away, it's possible that it's a rodent ulcer, i.e., eosinophilic granuloma complex. Do you recall whether your vet gave her steroids last time? It's definitely something you can ask your vet about.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the picture. Hopefully its clear enough. She has black on part of her mouth so its hard to see. Its been like this so many times. She has been to the vets. I tried recently to feed her different food thinking it was a food allergy. But after I think back she has had different food along time ago and still had the same problem. She is not a real sociable cat. She screams and hollers if the other cat goes near her and then fly's away. So half the time I think she hits her face off of something. But I keep trying to think what it could be coming from, that's why I asked to see if anyone had any ideas or had this problem themselves. Thanks
Well here is an update on her swollen lip. I decided to start with fish products. I haven't given her anything that has any kind of fish in it. So as of now her lip is down, so we will see if it happens again. But right now she will not get anymore fish products and if it swells again, we will start with something else. I'm hoping for the best, no more problems 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this would help given the sporadic nature of her lip swelling, but plastic water and food bowls can cause this, too. If you're currently using plastic on a regular basis, I would strongly suggest that you switch to stainless steel or clear glass.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't know if this would help given the sporadic nature of her lip swelling, but plastic water and food bowls can cause this, too. If you're currently using plastic on a regular basis, I would strongly suggest that you switch to stainless steel or clear glass.
Thanks for the information but I have switched that along time ago, since I had read that. Everything is either glass or ceramic. But thanks again. 

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Does it appear to bother her?  What exactly have the vets said?
No it never seems to bother her, but animals never really show when they are hurting unless it is really something bad. She was at the vets a few years ago and he gave her two medicines, and I'm going to say they didn't work because it has happened again. I had taken her back twice. So I finally decided to see what I could do on my own. Like I said it has gone down and I'm watching her. I quit giving her any food with fish in it. So far she is doing fine. If it swells again, then I will take her off something else. But I might have the problem solved. She isn't outside so it isn't anything from there. She runs around like a nut and I know she bangs her face so I way always thinking it was that. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No it never seems to bother her, but animals never really show when they are hurting unless it is really something bad. She was at the vets a few years ago and he gave her two medicines, and I'm going to say they didn't work because it has happened again. I had taken her back twice. So I finally decided to see what I could do on my own. Like I said it has gone down and I'm watching her. I quit giving her any food with fish in it. So far she is doing fine. If it swells again, then I will take her off something else. But I might have the problem solved. She isn't outside so it isn't anything from there. She runs around like a nut and I know she bangs her face so I way always thinking it was that. 
I'm glad to hear she's acting normal otherwise. Good luck with your efforts! Some other things to consider in your quest are preservatives, additives, and the actual metal can that the food comes in. It could still be a rodent ulcer as others have mentioned, but perhaps certain things aggravate it.