Cat has strange looking bald spot

bkhorne2k15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! Our cat has an odd bald spot on the back of his neck towards the center of his shoulder blades and we're not quire sure what it is. It just showed up this morning as we didn't see it yesterday and we're pretty interactive with our guys daily. Has anyone ever experienced or seen this kind of thing before? Is there any ointment or natural cat-friendly substance that might help? Could it be from rough play? We do sometimes vacuum up some tufts of hair now and then but I don't really think that's what it is. Not sure though.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you! :)

P.S. We have 3 cats, all indoor.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given how cleanly the hair seems to be missing, I would call the vet to find out what it is. I don't think that rough play would do that; others might have that experience. Is the spot entirely flat? I cannot tell in pic 2 and 3 as it seems puffy, but that could be the angle of the photo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bkhorne2k15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fionasmom fionasmom , Yes it is totally flat. I'd agree, I don't really believe its from rough play either. It's just so sudden and the other cats are fine. This guy also does have a history of acne (which has since cleared up) not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay, if it is flat then it might be some skin condition. I have not had a lot of cats with that particular issue so I am not well versed; I was concerned that if it was swollen it could be something else ranging from infection to a growth. My guess is that this boy has some individual problem, guessing not contagious if he is the only one, but I would still call the vet has he has cleanly lost a nice clump of fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bkhorne2k15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm. Ok. Yeah that was our initial thoughts as well; but we're first time cat owners so we don't have much experience with these things. We'll ring the vet and see what they say. Thank you so much!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not that this will be of any help, but I am currently having a skin issue with Ailish. Went to the vet and they apparently have a light they can shine on a lesion and it lights up green if it is ringworm. No green for Ailish, so that was a relief. I don't think they know exactly what some of this stuff is, but she said, "We see this a lot in cats." Got a shot of antibiotic and if it doesn't clear up bring her back for another. If that doesn't work... I can't tell if it's working or not. Cats are so damn uncooperative, I can't get a good look at it, as it's on her inner thigh. The thing is, it seems to bother me more than it bothers her (not at all), but still. You don't want your cat walking around with some happening on their skin. I'm unsure what to do next, but the antibiotic has another week.