Cat has slightly-raised dark spots on bridge of nose

electra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
These appeared a week or so ago...They seem to be slightly raised dark/black spots on the furry bridge of his nose, not on the smooth, skin part of nose. His nose also seems wetter (at nostrils) than usual.

Brought him to vet and vet gave me some antibiotic stuff to put on nose. Wasn't sure what the spots are. I've googled it and can't find anything! Not freckles...different place on nose, different type of thing.

I *think* he seems fine, otherwise, though in my imagination (?) he seems a little quieter.

Maybe I should get another opinion (vet-wise)? Just so strange not to see anything on the interwebs that look like what he has!

Thanks for any advice!
23B81683-B0C3-4556-B77A-4538A2B4834F.jpeg

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be cat acne, but that is usually more on the chin.

Google "cat acne on nose." One of the first images, if not the very first image, that comes up (choose IMAGES) is a pic that looks exactly like the symptoms of your cat. Your vet should have caught that. Maybe get a new vet? This is an extremely simple diagnosis, if it is indeed cat acne - but don't trust me on this. Get a second opinion, and/or wait for more responses here. We use stidex pads for one of ours that has always had bad acne on her chin, and it helps tremendously. Cat acne doesn't go away very quickly and is likely to return.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This type of thing is more common in orange cats. Seems like every time the question comes up here, it's regarding an orange cat. If it's what it appears to be, it's Lentigo. Does that sound like what the Vet called it? Here is an interesting read on it:

What Are Those Black Spots on My Cat's Face?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd try the Stridex pads. If it is oddly-placed cat acne, it will clear up. If it doesn't, that's not what it is. DO switch from any plastic bowls to ceramic or steel, and wash thoroughly after each meal. Wash water bowls daily. I follow washing with a boiling water rinse, but I wash feral bowls twice a day, and it's simply become a habit for me. Certainly doesn't hurt a thing!

LukaPaduka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if you ever figured out what these were? My car has something very similar but vet doesn’t know. Cagey popped up over course of 2 days..,

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back since the end of last year.

electra electra ?

Your cat seemed to have redder spots, but that could just be the pic. I did not think that your boy looked as if it were cat acne, but I could be wrong. I have an orange boy right now with chin acne...so orange cats do get it quite a bit.

LukaPaduka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OP has not been back since the end of last year.

electra electra ?

Your cat seemed to have redder spots, but that could just be the pic. I did not think that your boy looked as if it were cat acne, but I could be wrong. I have an orange boy right now with chin acne...so orange cats do get it quite a bit.
Hard to tell. I would describe them as very dark brown… yes, I don’t really think they are like the chin acne... He has had chin acne before but that cleared up when I began changing his bowls every day instead of just refilling.