Cat has red ears and excessive earwax

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 year old cat all of a sudden has red ears and excessive earwax. His ears are red inside, and some patches of fur are missing on the outside! And he has excessive earwax. His ears have always been spotless inside, and now he has dark brown wax all over inside both ears. (I wiped them gently with a wet Q-tip, not deep, and the wax is just brown, I dont see any blood or anything that would indicate ear mites). Hes never had ear mites. Hes going to the vet this week, but just looking for advice or causes.
He is indoor and outdoor (outside only when I'm with him), so maybe sunburn? or sun irritation? Hes a siamese.

Thanks all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Below is a photo of the outside of his ears. Missing patches of fur. Sunburn?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would still guess ear mites. The red ears/hair loss are from his scratching incessantly due to the itchiness. If it just recently started, there is a good chance the vet can treat him before it turns into an infection. But, in the meantime, you could call your vet and ask if there is something OTC that you could treat him with until his appointment, just to help with the irritation.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would still guess ear mites. The red ears/hair loss are from his scratching incessantly due to the itchiness. If it just recently started, there is a good chance the vet can treat him before it turns into an infection. But, in the meantime, you could call your vet and ask if there is something OTC that you could treat him with until his appointment, just to help with the irritation.
Thank you! I really hope its not ear mites. (I've NEVER had a cat with ear mites, but I read that the "dirt" can look like coffee grounds, cuz its mixed with blood, and that ear mite infections give off a bad smell) His inner ear smells fine, and when i wiped it out there was no redness on the wet qtip. Also hes on Revolution monthly.... Maybe just a yeast infection? Or some kind of ear infection? Hes going wednesday so we'll see.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Triton has a bacterial/yeast infection in both ears.
The vet gave me some sterile ear cleaning solution and Baytril Otic antibacterial/antifungal drops for his ears. Today is day 6 and his ears look the same (red from scratching, TONS of brown earwax). Doesn't seem to have helped at all. I called the vet secretary and told her there has been no improvement and she said the vet will call me back today. :(