Cat has really bad cough

Zeusy zeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I’m new here and I’m desperately seeking some information or advice from anyone who’s had a similar encounter or just has any information they can provide.

My cat shadow is 4 years old and for the past 8 months he’s had a bad cough that lasts like 2-5 minutes. The cough is completely random and only happens every couple days or so. I took him for a checkup and the vet said he has a heart murmur. I showed her a video of my cat coughing and she said it wasn’t related to fur balls and that it might be asthma. She then recommended an X-ray so I had one administered. The results came back fine, the only thing strange was she said my cat has a small heart, smallest heart she’s ever seen on a cat At this point I’m extremely worried and she gives me the phone number to a cardiologist. I just called today and they want to charge me $675 for an ultra sound of his heart. Unfortunately I don’t have that kind of money. Is there anyone here at all who might have an idea as to what my cat has or if there’s any hope for him? He seems completely normal to me and happy. This is all just so very sad. I appreciate any help 🙏🏼

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could give you some solid information. However, this article will have some links that MAY help you find assistance for vet bills and tests. No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – Cat Articles Meanwhile, try to give him as stress-free a home as possible, and just...love him. It is a good sign that he is happy and normal most of the time.

Other than trying to point you in the right direction for some help, about all I can do is light a candle for you both. I'm so sorry that it took a health scare to bring you to us, but I'm happy that you are here. You are not alone with this anymore.

00LitCandle.jpeg

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heart murmurs in cats can mean everything or absolutely nothing or anything at all. It’s not a death sentence to cats the way it is for dogs.

Go back to your vet for a blood test- there one protein they look at (I forget which one) that can tell you if the heart murmur is medically significant. If the blood test comes back as medically significant then you’d need to take him in for an echocardiogram. To see your next steps (which may be medication or surgery). However, if the murmur isn’t significant then there’s no need to treat it or schedule an echocardiogram and it’s business as usual for you and your cat.

Deep breath. Regardless of the outcome odds are good your cat has a long and happy life ahead

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Zeusy zeus and welcome to the forum !

Could you post your approximate location (nearest large city,state) ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zeusy zeus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for you kind help I was not expecting such warm hearted responses... I guess what they say is true animal lovers are the best people. I will call the vet today and see about the blood test, I got his teeth cleaned around august or so and we had blood work done then, not sure if that test was accomplished or not but I’ll find out.
I’m in Miami, FL. $675 for an ultra sound... I’ll call around today and see if maybe I’ll have luck finding someone cheaper but from what the vet told me there’s only 2 people that do them down here... find it hard to believe I’ll stay positive. Meanwhile I bought him some new toys and he’s been playing a lot... poor little guy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Can you post a photo of the xray? see if they can email it to you. Asthma shows up as small white dots on the lungs. Coughing is one symptom. how's his breathing? We measure breathes when they are sleeping. It should be 30 or less.

My Honeybee has asthma and is on inhaled Flovent-her breathes were 45 to 50 a minute in her sleep. Once we got her on Flovent within 2 weeks her breathes went down to 30 a minute. She used to cough but mostly in the middle of the night. It was explained that they would be sleeping and coughing wake them up at 3amish due to the inflamation acting up. They can prescribe inhalers or pills or they can try an injection of pred. I always recommend pills instead of the shot incase they have a bad reaction. The inhalers are the best way to avoid side effects of pred.

The things you can do for now-
STOP USING SCENTED ITEMS
No Candles
No Perfumes
No Plug in Glade thingies
No scented litter
NO SMOKING INSIDE-cigs/tobacco/cigars/Ecigs/weed ETC ETC ETC
No fabric softener on their beds/blankets

The cats are lower to the floor and those plug in glade thingies can make asthma worse.

My girl came from a smoker and her lungs showed obvious inflammation on the xrays. It only took 2 weeks to train her to allow the mask on her face.

Google Fritz the brave for more info.

There's a group on yahoo Feline Asthma that has lots of information including cheaper meds...PM me for the place to order meds if the vet feels this could be what's going on...it scared me at first when I saw my girl coughing alot. It's hard to tell if the heart murmer would cause coughing in cats...I know it does in dogs..but cats are different...I highly recommend the heart scan. Try calling other hospitals-you may find a cheaper price away from the city. I drove 2 hours one way to get ours done for my girl-they wanted 750 here and they charged 395 in Portland Maine..so happily made the drive. My girl had no issues in her heart=but hot humid air made her asthma act up in August...We ended up keeping her in AC room in the summer when it acts up..

Keep us posted!