Cat Has Pimples Or Acne Under Chin??

LunchnDins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, whom i got as a kitten in 2012, has pimples under her chin. She also has trouble eating as i think the pimples are inflamed by the meat she has for dinner. I took her to the vet who told me "she may just be stressed out." Is this true? what can i do besides trying to calm her down somehow (Shes lived her for a long time i dont think shes stressed) or getting her one of those pheromone emitters or whatever they are. Does she just not like the food im giving her? she eats it just fine but then recoils, seemingly in pain, and runs away
It really worries me as she is a very small (runt of the litter) who needs to eat!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be stress, allergies, or something else.

Did you recently change anything or the formula of something changed? Like the food bowl, what you clean it with, her bed or other places she puts her chin on... ? If yes then maybe she's allergic to it and scratching the acne too much.

I assume the vet checked for fleas and other parasites and she's up to date on the flea treatment? Fleas can also cause similar issues if for nothing else by making the cat scratch more, leading the bacteria on the skin from paw that might cause acne.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try changing her dish to a different material. If it's plastic, try glass or ceramic and use a clean fresh one daily.

Also, try this from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and use apply to her chin with a clean cotton ball or similar.

Did the vet check her teeth?

Try goat milk, also add in kitten milk replacer for extra nutrients, and also canned cat food, see if these help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try washing it with Witch Hazel. That works well on acne in cats. I'd clean it with the Witch Hazel, then follow with the chamomile for itch/burn relief.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One common cause is plastic feeding bowls. The theory is that the bowl accumulates scratches over time. In turn, the scratches retain bacteria and may be fat/oil from the food. And washing the bowl does not properly clean the scratches. The bacteria and the residual fat/oil are transferred to the cat's chin. The oil/fat accumulation cause the blackheads and bacteria will cause the pimples.

My cats developed blackheads years ago. I bought the large steel dog food bowls from Pet Smart. For both food and water. The blackheads cleared up in a week or two. Plus the large bowls eliminated whisker fatigue.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat used to get a little acne once in a while. Then when she would scratch her chin, it would bleed. My vet said it is normal, just keep it clean to fend off infection (and any of the remedies suggested here are good) but she was not concerned.