Cat Has Not Been Using The Litterbox For A Couple Years

emilyrhodges

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm ashamed to say that my cat has not been using her litter-box for a couple of years. I've taken her to the vest to make sure she doesn't have an UTI and she doesn't. I keep the litter-box clean, I've tried multiple different types of boxes, She even has two boxes. She's ruined our couches, our carpet. We just recently moved into a house that we've worked really hard on re-doing and spent a lot of money on, I really really don't want to surrender her. Can someone please give me some advice on what I can do to stop this?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she and is she spayed?
Do you have any other animals in the house?
Does she EVER use her litter box or is it ALWAYS out of the box?
Is it both poop and pee out of the box?
What is her personality like? (timid, fearful, aggressive at times???)
Does anything stress her out?
Does she get along with everyone in the house?
Does everyone in the house get along with her?
Other than testing for UTI, has the vet tested for crystals and stones?
Has the vet ruled out cystitis?
Is your cat de-clawed?
When did this start? How old was she when it started? Was there something that happened around the time this started?
What kind of food does she eat? (wet or dry)
How is her water intake?
Have you ever noticed her posture when peeing?
Does she try to go to the litter box at all and then change her mind?, or shake her paws after being in the box?, or "cover" her pee/poop by pawing at the walls of the box instead of the litter?

Sorry for all the questions, but litter aversion can be a complicated thing so the more information the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilyrhodges

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is she and is she spayed? She is about 8 years old and shes been spayed since she was about 6.

Do you have any other animals in the house? I have a younger cat as well but she has no problem

Does she EVER use her litter box or is it ALWAYS out of the box? Since we just recently moved Saturday she was using the litter-box but at the old house she mostly never used it.

Is it both poop and pee out of the box? Yes

What is her personality like? (timid, fearful, aggressive at times???) She's scared of everyone but me

Does anything stress her out? The younger cat stresses her out

Does she get along with everyone in the house? She's not mean to anyone other than the younger cat

Does everyone in the house get along with her? My husband doesn't mess with her because he's scared of her.

Other than testing for UTI, has the vet tested for crystals and stones? No

Has the vet ruled out cystitis? No

Is your cat de-clawed? No

When did this start? How old was she when it started? Was there something that happened around the time this started? Since she was about 4, I moved out and couldn't take her with me and my dad didn't clean the litter box like he was suppose to so she started not using it.

What kind of food does she eat? (wet or dry) Dry

How is her water intake? She drinks a normal amount

Have you ever noticed her posture when peeing? No

Does she try to go to the litter box at all and then change her mind?, or shake her paws after being in the box?, or "cover" her pee/poop by pawing at the walls of the box instead of the litter? Yes all, also to add she is over weight and has been on diet food for about 2 years now, her back side gets matted but she won't let me get the matts out

Sorry for all the questions, but litter aversion can be a complicated thing so the more information the better.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK so...

Now that you're in the new house she's consistently using the box? If so, it could have been a territorial thing. Could be that something (another animal) outside was "threatening" her and she felt the need to mark her home. If that's the case, your issues may be over or at least it will be easier to modify this behavior.
How long did it take for her to feel comfortable in the new house?

If she's fearful of everyone except you, she most likely lacks confidence. Things like providing multiple high areas to hang out on/in (cat trees, shelving) can help. Also, playing WITH her using a wand toy or something similar can help too.
Creating a steady, predictable routine is beneficial in helping a timid kitty feel more secure. So, scheduled feeding, scheduled play time ect...
Also when it comes to play time. Allowing your kitty to "act out" it's natural instincts of chase, catch, eat gives them more confidence. So after a good play session, let her "catch the toy" then give her a a small meal.

I know you mention that the new cat came AFTER this behavior, but does the new cat bully her? It can definitely add to the problem if new kitty is preventing her from accessing the litter box.

I would also recommend that your husband start taking some steps towards bonding with her. He could start feeding her, playing with her and giving her treats so that she A) starts to associate him with good things and hopefully lessen her fear of him, and B) hopefully lessen his fear of her, she can sense that he fears her, and that just reinforces her need to fear him.
Also what can happen, is that she may be "marking" in an attempt to blend scents with those in the house who "shun" her. Have you noticed if the areas where she peed/pooped in the old house coincided with areas that would have been heavily scented with your husband?

I wonder if it was more because you moved out of the house rather than you dad not cleaning the boxes that could have started this. The stress of her "safe person" leaving could have been the catalyst.
(Not, that a dirty litter box helped the matter.;))

I would also try to incorporate or even completely switch to a wet/canned food. Not only is wet food better for cats who have urinary issues due t the added moisture, but it can also help with weight issues because they tend to not have as much carbs and fillers like dry food, which is (mostly) the cause being overweight in cats.
Getting a water fountain can also help in increasing water intake.

Good on ya that she's not de-clawed. Many de-clawed cats develop litter aversion because of the sensitivity in their paws after getting the ends of their toes amputated.

The fact that she doesn't like to paw at the litter does hint to the fact that she may not like the feel of her litter. You mention that you've tried different litters, but have you tried a fine grain litter, or perhaps a natural litter made of corn that's softer in the feet?

Does her weight seem to stop her form wanting to use the box? Are the side of the box too high perhaps?

Matted fur can cause pain if they get too tight, and brushing them out might not work, and might be hurting her which is why she won't let you do it. Can you try to cut them half off, and then maybe brushing them out the rest of the way might be more tolerable for her. Or perhaps getting her behind shaved at the vet or groomer and then trying to keep up on brushing her will prevent them from coming back as the fur grows out.

emilyrhodges

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so...

Now that you're in the new house she's consistently using the box? If so, it could have been a territorial thing. Could be that something (another animal) outside was "threatening" her and she felt the need to mark her home. If that's the case, your issues may be over or at least it will be easier to modify this behavior.
How long did it take for her to feel comfortable in the new house? - Well, she almost made it a week with using the litter box with out an accident, I noticed this morning she pee'd on our love seat... It took her about 2 days to feel comfortable in the new house.

If she's fearful of everyone except you, she most likely lacks confidence. Things like providing multiple high areas to hang out on/in (cat trees, shelving) can help. Also, playing WITH her using a wand toy or something similar can help too.
Creating a steady, predictable routine is beneficial in helping a timid kitty feel more secure. So, scheduled feeding, scheduled play time ect...
Also when it comes to play time. Allowing your kitty to "act out" it's natural instincts of chase, catch, eat gives them more confidence. So after a good play session, let her "catch the toy" then give her a a small meal.

I know you mention that the new cat came AFTER this behavior, but does the new cat bully her? It can definitely add to the problem if new kitty is preventing her from accessing the litter box. - The new cat definitely bullies her... how to I help that situation?

I would also recommend that your husband start taking some steps towards bonding with her. He could start feeding her, playing with her and giving her treats so that she A) starts to associate him with good things and hopefully lessen her fear of him, and B) hopefully lessen his fear of her, she can sense that he fears her, and that just reinforces her need to fear him.
Also what can happen, is that she may be "marking" in an attempt to blend scents with those in the house who "shun" her. Have you noticed if the areas where she peed/pooped in the old house coincided with areas that would have been heavily scented with your husband? - No it was more of the areas in the house that we weren't most present it.

I wonder if it was more because you moved out of the house rather than you dad not cleaning the boxes that could have started this. The stress of her "safe person" leaving could have been the catalyst.
(Not, that a dirty litter box helped the matter.;))

I would also try to incorporate or even completely switch to a wet/canned food. Not only is wet food better for cats who have urinary issues due t the added moisture, but it can also help with weight issues because they tend to not have as much carbs and fillers like dry food, which is (mostly) the cause being overweight in cats.
Getting a water fountain can also help in increasing water intake.

Good on ya that she's not de-clawed. Many de-clawed cats develop litter aversion because of the sensitivity in their paws after getting the ends of their toes amputated.

The fact that she doesn't like to paw at the litter does hint to the fact that she may not like the feel of her litter. You mention that you've tried different litters, but have you tried a fine grain litter, or perhaps a natural litter made of corn that's softer in the feet? I have not, but I can try!

Does her weight seem to stop her form wanting to use the box? Are the side of the box too high perhaps? - We bought two really big storage bins that we leave the tops off and my husband cut out a wide space in the front for them to get in and out she def has enough room in there.

Matted fur can cause pain if they get too tight, and brushing them out might not work, and might be hurting her which is why she won't let you do it. Can you try to cut them half off, and then maybe brushing them out the rest of the way might be more tolerable for her. Or perhaps getting her behind shaved at the vet or groomer and then trying to keep up on brushing her will prevent them from coming back as the fur grows out.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr Elsey's litter attractant is a good thing to try too

Pour some in and mix a bit
then let her smell it

Maybe keep her box away from other kitty's box...do they share?

emilyrhodges

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dr Elsey's litter attractant is a good thing to try too

Pour some in and mix a bit
then let her smell it

Maybe keep her box away from other kitty's box...do they share?
I can try that! Yes I have 3 boxes and they both share them, idk how I would keep them from sharing honestly...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You've gotten awesome thoughts and advice!

As mentioned those mats need to be taken care of as soon as possible by a groomer or your vet, or yourself with clippers or as described above (you can sometimes cut a mat halfway and then work it apart the rest of the way with your fingers so you don't run the risk of cutting skin. Also corn starch can help because it helps the strands seperate but I don't know if this would be effective in old mats.) ... and then her fur needs to be maintained.

She needs more exercise too, that can help with both the weight issue and emotionally for her confidence, either through more playtime and/or going for walks. If she's food motivated you could try food puzzles, or even walking through the house with her meal so she follows you, then give it to her. Everything helps.

Why is your hubs not comfortable with her? Does he like the other cat? Can you play with her and he play with the other cat, both seperately as well as together?

If you aren't already, try an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, or something here;

How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions

Also, try MusicForCats . com, the app Relax My Cat, or even classical harp music, these are known to help cats be more calm.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Last edited:

emilyrhodges

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
You've gotten awesome thoughts and advice!

The mats needs to be taken care of as soon as possible by a groomer or your vet, or yourself with clippers, and then her fur needs to be maintained.

She needs more exercise too, that can help with both the weight issue and emotionally for her confidence, either through more playtime and/or going for walks. If she's good motivated you could try food puzzles, or even walking through the house with her meal so she follows you, then give it to her. Everything helps.

Why is your hubs not comfortable with her? Does he like the other cat? Can you play with her and he play with the other cat, both separately as well as together? - My husband is afraid of cats, but for some reason he's warmed up since I've gotten the other cat but he likes the other cat better... She has a complete different personality then the other cat I'm having the issue with so I guess that's also why he likes her more.

If you aren't already, try an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, or something here;

How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions

Also, try MusicForCats . com, the app Relax My Cat, or even classical harp music, these are known to help cats be more calm.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
- My husband is afraid of cats, but for some reason he's warmed up since I've gotten the other cat but he likes the other cat better... She has a complete different personality then the other cat I'm having the issue with so I guess that's also why he likes her more.

Also, thank you for the advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I updated my post above as you were replying :), --cornstarch might be of help with those mats, I'm not sure, but if you handle it yourself and cut them partway down, try a little bit and see if you can work each mat the rest of the way with your fingers.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Helping your kitty gain confidence with the high perches, play/meal time, routine and so on will ultimately help with the bullying from your other kitty. She will hopefully learn to stand her ground a bit more.
Also, the advice and links that Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you will help with her fears and to calm her. Re-introducing them may also get them back on even playing fields.
But getting your husband involved with this process will help also, as I said, some of her anxieties could be her sensing that he's scared of her.

If new kitty is being a bully because she's a bit more rambunctious, playing with her more can help to get rid of some excess energy so she leaves your other kitty alone.

Perhaps there is an area in the house that you know of, where the new kitty doesn't really go into much that you can put an extra litter box in that may help your other kitty use in peace?

The fact that for two weeks into the new move she used the litter box is a good sign that she's does not have a complete aversion to using the box.
I wonder if the reason that she used it was because in those first two weeks, both cats were "equal" and the new kitty was not as dominant towards her. But now that they both have settled, new kitty has her mojo, but your other kitty is back to being "at the bottom". Again, this all plays into building up her confidence.

Do your kitties have names we can use?? I feel bad saying "new kitty" and "other". :confused2:
Also, we love pictures here!!!!!:thumbsup:

On a side note, I would contact your vet and ask them if when they tested for the UTI they also looked at if there were crystals/stones or the presence of inflammatory cells in her urine (that would indicate chronic cystitis). Cystitis is something that can develop that in some cases is directly related to stress in cats. And the cat does not need crystals or stones or even a UTI present for cystitis to be there.
If they did not test for those, another trip to the vet may be necessary. At the same time, you could also inquire if she may have some arthritis due to her being pudgy. Pain ANYWHERE in the body can cause a cat to not want to use a litter box. I know of someone who's cat had a tooth abscess, and THAT was the reason her kitty stopped using the litter box. :headscratch:

And again, I would really recommend more wet food in her diet.