Cat has loose stools and smelly poop

inkycakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I'm planning on bringing literature to the next appointment and requesting they take a sample in the vet's office to send out for PCR. Just making us jump through the same old hoops, first. Start with the most common (fecal flotation) then move on if they don't find anything.

siopaocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!!

I came across this site when I google loose stools and smelly poop.

My cat, a siamese is having this problem for a few days now. She is 5 months old. Her cat food is Friskies product of Purina.  I observe that she has less appetite now, less energy since she has this problem. I hope someone could help me. because the other day she has some blood spot on her poop. 

I don't know what could be the possible culprit. the only changes that I had so far with her is that I changed her litter sand. From "Our Cat brand which is a clumping kind to Purina non-clumping  for multiple cat because now I had additional cat at home. The new cat is a rescued white kitty with Odd eyes (green and blue eyes) I just found him in the street. I think he is about 6 weeks now. I haven't bring him to the vet because right now I am far from the vet clinic.  Do you think the rescued kitty has some parasites that affect my cat??

please help!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cat, a siamese is having this problem for a few days now. She is 5 months old. Her cat food is Friskies product of Purina.  I observe that she has less appetite now, less energy since she has this problem. I hope someone could help me. because the other day she has some blood spot on her poop. 

The new cat is a rescued white kitty with Odd eyes (green and blue eyes) I just found him in the street. I think he is about 6 weeks now. I haven't bring him to the vet because right now I am far from the vet clinic. Do you think the rescued kitty has some parasites that affect my cat??

please help!
I believe this is likely the case, especially if you allowed the new kitten to mingle about your home with your resident cat and they both share litter boxes. A stray can also have FIV, FeLV, heartworms, fleas, and other parasites that can be easily transmitted without getting prior treatments before introductions begin. This is why it's very important to keep new ones seperated until a vet can look them over.

Although it is a wonderful thing you did to rescue the young white kitten
, it's more likely something was transmitted among them. 
  Because your resident siamese is still young and has been showing signs of lethargy, decreased appetite and trouble eliminating (bloody stool) for a few days, I'd take her to the emergency vet now. Not tomorrow, or next week or when you get paid! Your siamese kitten are showing signs of illness, and bloody poop probably means pain. Cats usually hide their pain very well, and if she's been acting this way for a few days, it will only go downhill, and fast! Please take her in and keep her seperated from the new little one once she comes back home. I'd take your young kitten in and a bathroom and have him in there with food, water, litter box, and bed as his "safe room" until he can be properly examined and treated by a regular vet. Please do not feel sorry for your tiny kitten, he's not being punished. Plus him being in there will enhance his use of litter box more often with easier clean ups if needed. You can, of course go in there to keep him company and to play, pet, and even read to him to allow him to get to know your voice. 

Wishing the best for all in your household...

siopaocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. My siamese cat is now doing well. :
 She is eating now, has more energy.  though her poop is still a little soft. 

dmront

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 year old Birman has recently began having the same type of problem and other than this "nuisance" condition, our vet says he's in great health.  I have tried changing foods, etc. - a very trying exercise since that in itself can cause some upsets.

Then I began suspecting the Whiskas Temptation treats that I started to buy him a few months ago.  He is absolutely addicted to them, but I was only giving him a few at a time.  The beef ones seemed especially to make him loose, but now I am beginning to suspect any and all of these treats.  I did find this link and am sharing it for your information.  

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/whiskas-cat-food.html

I am still exploring what might be causing his problem and certainly plan on reading what others are saying about these treats.  Something seems to make the treats VERY addictive - cats seem to LOVE them - so maybe there's some ingredient that, at least, my kitty can't tolerate very well???

Good luck with your attempts to help your kitty.

lucyandsesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Lucy 2 months ago from an animal welfare society.  My first kitten (Sesame came as an adult).  Lucy has had loose stools the entire time and occasionally it is liquid.  She has been de-wormed twice so we finally sent her stool sample to a bigger lab (Argonne National Lab, I assume,  based on the cost).  Diagnosis came back as Fluke worms. We put her on Droncit last Friday but still the stools are loose (10 days).  I am hoping this medication just takes some time so if anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.  Next sample being sent to 'Argonne' this Friday regardless.

The little 'squirt' also likes to poop too close to the edge of the box and it gets all over her tail.  Then she jumps onto my shoulder and buries herself in my hair.

Good thing she is cute.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I adopted Lucy 2 months ago from an animal welfare society.  My first kitten (Sesame came as an adult).  Lucy has had loose stools the entire time and occasionally it is liquid.  She has been de-wormed twice so we finally sent her stool sample to a bigger lab (Argonne National Lab, I assume,  based on the cost).  Diagnosis came back as Fluke worms. We put her on Droncit last Friday but still the stools are loose (10 days).  I am hoping this medication just takes some time so if anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.  Next sample being sent to 'Argonne' this Friday regardless.

The little 'squirt' also likes to poop too close to the edge of the box and it gets all over her tail.  Then she jumps onto my shoulder and buries herself in my hair.

Good thing she is cute.
Wow...Fluke worms?  I got the impression that Lucy was a kitten.  How old is she?  Was she a stray or feral?  It's really unusual for a small kitten to have this, kind of unusual for a cat to have this anyway, but I guess it really depends on where you live. 

As far as how long it takes for the Droncit to start working, what did the Vet say?  I'm not at all familiar with Flukes, so don't know how they get eradicated.  All I can find on them is they end up in the liver, so I would think they are harder to get rid of.  If your Vet didn't give you any indication as to a time frame, then i would call them back and tell them Lucy still has loose stools and see if they think that's normal for her diagnosis and treatment.  If not, then maybe it's time for a return visit. 

lucyandsesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the confusion.  Lucy is only 5 months old and she was a barn cat in Northern WI.  And yes,  Fluke worms.  Ate a frog or something I guess before I adopted her.  My vet has never treated for Fluke worms so she wasn't quite sure how long this would take but asked for a stool sample to send in this Friday (2 weeks since treatment on Friday).  I was just hoping someone had experience with this and would say 'oh it takes 2 weeks at least'.

My first kitten,  or any small animal for that matter,  so I hope we can get this figured out.  She is just so darn cute but I have to smell her butt and feet every time she comes down from upstairs (litter box area).  And she just zips all over the place so she feels fine.  Thanks for replying.

lucyandsesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - fluke worms are gone.  But no changes in stool and now Sesame (6 year old)is showing similar signs.  Vet thinks it might be Tritrichomonas foetus.  I guess there is not really a good cure for this so we have switched both of them to a prescription food for diarrhea.  They outgrow this,  I hope.  In the meantime I follow them around with cloths.

I am kind of at wits end and can't afford too much more.  I cried when I saw Sesame had blood/loose stool.  Just cried.  I got this little kitten as a playmate for Sesame because I thought she was lonely.  Don't get me wrong,  I love the little 'squirt' (and she squirts,  trust me) but poor Sesame has been through hell.  And now this.....  Thanks for letting me vent. 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There IS a treatment for T-Foetus.  Not sure where your Vet is coming from.  First though, you need to make sure that's what it is, and that's the expensive part.  It's a separate test that has to be sent out and can be fairly costly. 

Here's the information on the test AND the treatment:  http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tritrichomonas

The treatment does have some risks, so you don't want to give it unless you are certain that it's T-Foetus, but if you don't treat it and it IS, you may be dealing with this situation for a long time

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently had to treat my cats for tritrichomonas foetus after getting a new kitten that had it and my older cats were infected. the cats I tested and treated were 12weeks old and 16 years old. all of them were treated with doses of ronidazole  (cost $20-$40) dosages were based on their weight,none of them had side effects. the kitten had to be retreated, the initial dosage wasn't adequate. my vet used TF pouch test ,and obtained  the fecal sample using the colon flush method. this test was about $40, the PCR test  is $77( sample must be collected by your vet and sent to Dr.JodyGookin's lab cheapest ) form and info at www.cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/personnel/gookin_jody.html you might want to go to Dr. Jody Gookin's website and read up on tritrichomonas foetus because it can take up to 2 years to resolve without treatment meds.

--

lucyandsesame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very helpful. thank you all for the help. Kind of like counseling. Cheaper though. :)

I will schedule and have Lucy tested. If she is positive then I will take Sesame in. Sesame gets quite hysterical in the car/vet so I will wait to see if this is what it is before I put her through all of that.

How the heck do you feed pills to cats? The last time I had to treat Lucy with pills, I took her into the vet. (Fluke worm meds, one treatment).

Again, new to the cat owner world so I do appreciate everyone's input.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pilling a cat can be done in various way.  The easiest way is with Pill Pockets, where you just wrap the pill inside these tasty treats and hope they will gobble them up.  They come in a couple of different flavors.  If that doesn't work, then you can try hiding them in their food, or pieces of meat, OR, you pry their mouths open and drop in the pill and rub their throats until you see them swallow.  There are lots of videos on YouTube on how to pill a cat, many of them done by Vets.  There are also many threads here on how to pill a cat.  Here's just one:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/290539/please-help-with-pilling-ideas

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have to treat your cats for TRITRICHOMONAS FOETUS you cannot use pill pockets etc. the medicine for treating TF is RONIDAZOLE and it is very bitter and the dosage has to be precise so the pill cannot be opened  it's very important they consume all the medicine or the treatment may fail, I got a piller a long skinny tube that kinda shoots the pill down the throat with air from the vet worked great.  If the medicine can be  chewed pill pockets are the BEST!

stovepipe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6yo calico has wet,smelly stool.I think im going to buy bottled water.The water here in Houston cant be trusted.Weve had a lot of flooding in the last year.Hopefully this will help