Cat has hurt paw

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Jimmy has a hurt paw. We’re not sure what happen. His right paw & leg is swollen, red, and he’s limping on it. He isn’t putting ANY weight on it. All of our vets are closed due to it being Saturday. He’s letting me touch it but he’s kinda growling. I’m not seeing a bite of any sort. But it is super red.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there an ER available anyplace? Limping alone could be an injury but I am concerned that it is swollen and red like a bite or other invasive injury. If he is growling, he is in pain as cats are pretty stoic about anything that is tolerable.

Do you have poisonous insects/reptiles/ etc that could have gotten to him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't agree more with what fionasmom fionasmom said. The swelling is not a good sign. I hope you can find someplace to call and consult with (send them pics, if nothing else) as how to move forward.

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even our local vet hospital is closed on the weekends. Everything is. And he’s an indoor/outdoor cat so it’s possible something could’ve gotten to him. I’ve never seen any poisonous snakes or bugs near us but I don’t look everywhere he goes. His ankle area is bleeding a little in one spot but he growls if we start clean it so I know it hurts. We live in a curve so it’s possible he was hit too, we have a couple of teens that speed around the curve.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can do no else, don't let him back outside for now. Keep him in a confined area with all of his necessities close by. He could have something (glass, bite, injury otherwise???) in the location where it is bleeding. You will have to 'bite the bullet' and clean that area. It is either you giving into his will, or you making him do what needs to be done. The former is not in his favor.

At a minimum, buy some chamomile tea bags from a local grocery store (they are almost always German - you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and then use a soft cloth soaked in it to hold/press against the area that is bleeding. The tea is both an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent and is also soothing and healing.

I would recommend you contacting even an on-line vet for additional advice, until you can get him into a vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet anyways. There's an after hours voice mail message with info on who to call / where to go for emergencies.