cat has hernia(s)

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if my username is familiar its because ive been posting here a lot in the past few days haha. this post is less of a question and more of a vent since i cant really do anything about the situation, but advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

My male cat is 2 years old and we adopted him when he was 8 months old from my brother's friend who also got him from a family friend, hence his background is a little bit fuzzy. About a year into his adoption, we went to get him neutered and i received a call about an hour after i dropped him off from the vet and she sounded flustered. They asked about his upbringing and involvement in accidents because turns out, the soft, bald patch on his stomach that we assumed was just a minor birth defect was a hernia. She explained what is was and also the fact that his heart could be seen beating through his chest (which we also didnt think much of, pls dont blame us he was our first cat) showed that his organs placements were also a little bit skewed. Naturally I was very shocked and when she asked to treat his hernia i instantly agreed as he was still under anesthesia. She actually called again after a few minutes saying that during the shaving his HEART had actually dropped from its already low position to somewhere near his stomach (but it rose back up when he got off anesthesia), and the team of vets were very astonished and immediately stopped. They suspected that he had more than ONE hernia inside of him, and performing surgery when his heart was in that state and when they couldnt see the other issues was dangerous. Where i live, there are no x-ray machines and the only ultrasound service for animals is very expensive and probably not worth the money, our vet said. She suggested leaving him be as his hernia hasnt affected him at all, and to just ask for other medical advice. He's infamous in that vet now, they all know him as the anomaly.

Now I'm worried as his health has been deteriorating and he seems weaker. I think the hernia is finally affecting him. There is really no treatment that he can get here, and I feel helpless. I guess I just wanted to let that out. He's a very sweet and friendly orange tabby, who loves cuddling and playing fetch. His name is Baby. I love him alot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
Is he still eating, drinking and using the litterbox? If not, you'll want to contact your vet again as soon as possible :heartshape: :hugs:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Please ask the vet if they can consult with a vet university about Baby's condition. I am thinking it doesn't even necessarily have to be one nearby, although that would certainly be ideal. Perhaps also a vet that specializes in internal medicine or cardiology. These are the vet groups that are the most likely to have seen/run across something similar.