Cat has hardly eaten in a week and I feel like I am failing to assist feed

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m trying for at least 124 mLs of AD today.
Yes, this is rather fine, though on the short side. If I don't go wrong, Hill's A/D should give 1100 kcal/kg, so 124 g should be giving 136 kcal, when your Daisy should receive 160 kcal per day.

but it’s not like I feed my cat table scraps or my cat is one to get into things (her words). My sister said eating table scraps has very little to do with pancreatitis in cats though, so I’m not sure.
Your sister is right, eating rubbish or premium food doesn't change the fact that a cat can get a pancreatitis. Over here in TCS there's people who even too familiar with pancreatitis in their cats, and they have been feeding them with good food for years.
My cat had a pancreatitis, and I would only give her the best food around!

I guess I should add, Daisy has both mild CKD and HCM so fluids are somewhat of an issue because of her heart. My sister talked to the vet today though and she (my sister) is going to give her small amounts of sub-q fluids and also got the vet to agree to let us give Daisy some B12 injections and the Mirtzapine.
I'd second the B12 shots and the Mirtazapine.
I don't know what to say about the sub-q fluids in a case of HCM. You should ask a good vet.
My cat with the pancreatitis had some issue of fluids building up in her chest though her heart was fine. Anyway I was giving her sub-q fluids, we saw that those fluids in her chest would build up regardless the sub-q's.

So far, Daisy might have thrown up, but only once the past two days. No one in the house saw or heard anyone throw up, and unfortunately my sister has a lot of cats with CKD and stomach acid issues so it’s impossible to say.
Is it possible to leave Daisy alone in a room for a day and see what happens?

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat 13 year old cat Daisy is sick and not eating. I keep trying to syringe feed, have read everything and watched every video.

I know it’s normal for there to be a learning curve and to feel like you’re failing whether you actually are or not, but I need to get food in my cat NOW. She has barely eaten this past week.

I feel like she drools and spits much of what I give her out. More than any video I’ve seen. I can’t tell whether those cats are better at accepting being assisted or whether I am the problem!

How do I get her to not drool/spit out? How much of spitting out is acceptable?

Every source says syringe just a little at a time, but none actually clarified what “a little” means!!! I’m not talking about like... “x amount of syringes per session” but how much to actually push the plunger each time. Maybe that is where I’m going wrong? This isn’t easily googleable.

For reference, I have taken Daisy to the vet - last week and twice today - and she is on supportive therapy like cerenia and Omerprazole (forgot to ask about stimulant... I have transdermal Mirtzapine on hand but am waiting to get the okay from vet when I call first thing in the morning), so root causes of inappetence/anorexia are being addressed.

Please help. I’m going to lose my cat if I can’t figure this out.
Hi! Is Daisy doing better? I’m enclosing a couple pics of one of my kittens who almost died & is now thriving! I’ve seen lots of cats heal dramatically & come back from near death with a simple change in diet. The best thing I’ve found in my experience when a cat is sick &/ or won’t eat is goat milk. In California I get the organic kind from Trader Joe’s for a good deal. It’s known as the Mother Milk & now they make kitten milk with it for neonates. My adult cats love it too & it’s a wonderful option that’s human grade & without synthetic ingredients or fillers, as most cat foods are.

I’ve also seen cats that won’t eat have appetites again after I’ve given them VetCBD, a medical grade CBD formula that is made from whole flower, broad spectrum flowers & was created by a veterinarian. It’s brought kittens back from almost dying several times for me. You can find out where they have it near you at their website, vetcbd.com.

Human grade cat food will help heal your baby. I use the Honest Kitchen Chicken flavor. It’s dense in calories & not fillers, no artificial ingredients. It works in a pinch to get lots of calories in & fur babies love it sprinkled with pieces of freeze dried chicken. I’d try this &/ or goat milk.

I’m not sure how familiar you are with the pet food industry but it’s wise to check out The Truth About Pet Food, a website devoted to pet food & choosing safe pet food. It was started by a woman who is on the pet food regulatory board, AAFCO.

Unfortunately, most veterinarians are trained in school to believe that big name prescription pet food such as Hill’s is good for our pets. This is because the big corporations that make these foods have relationships with vet schools to promote their products & they provide funding.

With some research you’ll find that most pet food is not safe for pets & causes disease. The ingredients are cooked at such high temperatures that the species of the ingredients cannot be determined when the final products are tested. Human Grade pet food is the only way to go to ensure you’re not feeding your cat trash, literally. I’ve worked in the veterinary field with cats of all ages & raising orphaned kittens.

I research anything cat every day & I’m speaking from a place of knowledge. I hope I can help Daisy! used to be a vet tech & also the assistant & office manager for a UC Davis veterinarian who ultrasounded the giant pandas in China. He also invented the first ultrasound machine for companion animals. Now that I have a broken foot rescue & foster cats & kittens.

Much love, Tara

Attachments