Cat has FIP?

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost my other cat to FIP in november. Now my other cat has started to show the same signs. We are going to the vet on monday. So what happened was, until wednesday my cat was acting completely normal, he was eating and pooping normally and so on. When I came back from school my whole house was just covered in feces. He had terrible diarhhea. He was so tired and didn't want to eat anything (he never refuses food!!!) I obviously panicked and called the vet who just told me that he has some kind of stomach bug and he will be fine. Fortunately he ate later that evening. But after that he has had constant diarhhea, he is not really hungry at all and he just sleeps all the time. His gums are sticky so he's not drinking enough, I have given him some water with a syringe but obviously he doesn't like it. He is eating enough to not get sick. Normally he would come running just for seeing me go to the kitchen but now he isn't even waking up. Normally he eats his food right after I give it to him but now he ate it 2 hours later and only after I brought it to his bed. Yesterday he also went hiding when a guy came to fix my radiator. He never hides! He always comes to greet everybody that visits! He's 1 year old male, he lives indoors and is just a normal housecat. He is fixed and vaccinated. Only other things I can think of where he could have gotten the stomach bug are me visiting cat breeder on monday and I also gave him some new food (royal canin FIT) on Wednesday morning. I am very scared that he too has FIP, I just can't take it that I lose my other cat too. What do you guys think?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt it was the food. That should have happened within 18 hours of when he ate it. However, IF you brought something home from the breeder, this is about the time it would be showing symptoms, so there's a chance that is it. He's still eating, continue to get the water in him! The fact that he eats means he is still willing to live and to help himself do so. That's very good news indeed! Get him to his appointment, and afterward, PLEASE let us know how he is! I'm here in the late evenings, but I'll be looking for you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I understood you correctly, he got new food on Wednesday and that is the same day the diarrhea began? If yes, then IMO, you can't entirely rule out the food as being at least part of the problem. Are you still feeding him the 'new' food? If so, stop and revert back to what he was eating before. Or try some boiled chicken or turkey to help settle down his system first.

You can also try to entice him to drink more water by adding some 'juice' from canned tuna in water. If he is eating wet food, you can also mix a bit of water with that as well to increase his liquid intake.

While he may be positive for the corona virus that CAN mutate to FIP, there is no absolutes in terms of his mutating to FIP as it did with your other cat. The vast majority of cats carry the corona virus and only a very small percentage ever have it mutate. I do understand your fear and concern about this, but just don't jump to conclusions yet! I also want to extend my condolences to you with the loss of your other cat.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't jump to conclusions that this is FIP. I am sorry you lost a cat to FIP but it is actually not a common illness. We hear a lot about it because it is the most feared illness in cats. What your cat is going through is actually pretty common in cats and can be the result of a number of things that are not FIP.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I obviously panicked and called the vet who just told me that he has some kind of stomach bug and he will be fine.
Just out of curiosity, if the vet thought it was a stomach bug what did he or she recommend? Did they tell you if he's not better after the weekend to call for an appointment so he can be examined?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone and thank you all so much for your answers! So yeah he only got the new food on wednesday morning, after that I gave him the old food ,which is royal canin digestive dry food, though he hasn't eaten it at all after that. He has never liked dry food a lot so it's not a suprise that it would be the first food he refuses to eat. When I visited the cat breeder my pants were indeed covered in cat fur, which he did sniff quite a lot, though im not sure if he could have gotten any bacteria from them. Also the vet didn't really recommend anything, she just told me to keep an close eye for him. When I called again on friday I actually still had to explain why I am so worried and why I really want to get him examined. Of course she yelled at me why I had gotten another cat when my other one had just died on FIP and I had to explain that I have had him longer than I had my other cat :/ He is feeling bit more better now, definetly has gotten some of his energy back, he was playing for almost over an hour! He still has diarrhea and he is not eating that well, but I have to admit that I am bit more hopeful. Finally saw him drink on his own too! I have given him this medicene called promax which helps the normal gut flora (yes it is for cats) I am still really scared but your messages have helped me quite a lot <3. I'll let you know what happens at the vet tomorrow!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'll let you know what happens at the vet tomorrow!
Please do update after the vet tomorrow. And thanks for the pic, he's so handsome! :hearthrob: You may want to make a list of your questions for the vet so you are prepared and don't forget anything. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes for your kitty. :vibes::vibes:

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phew, good news everyone! Vet took blood tests and they were all normal, also no fever or anything else alarming. Only thing she found was few swollen lymph nodes on his knees in his back legs. She said that they have propably reacted because there has been some small infection/ or some virus/bacteria. She told me to keep giving him promax and keep him on wet food diet. If he's not better in 2 weeks then I should bring him back to the vet, but otherwise she wasn't worried.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news! :clap: Thanks so much for the update. Good luck and I hope he continues to improve.:crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful news! Let's hope that this is the turning point, and he will just get better and better!

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi to everyone again! Well, I have some good and some bad news. Good news is that his diarrhea stopped over a week a go, normal poop yay! Bad news is that today he vomited. Everything he ate about 4 hours before came out completely undigested. He has never vomited before. I can't help but be reminded about my other cat who got fip and one of his first symptoms was nausea. Also the last few weeks he has not eaten as well as before. Normally he eats everything I give him instantly. Now he eats his food usually within an hour and in small portions. So he still eats as much as before but he is not as hungry. We were going to go to the vet next monday to get his annual shots but I guess we also have to get some more tests done.