Cat Has Environmental Allergies...Allergy Shots?

jperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

My lil guy has food allergies and environmental allergies. We solved the food allergy; he's on Hound & Gatos Pork, which has done wonders for his coat, itching, and feces. He still remains scratching under his chin and at his ear though. Our vet dermatologist has recommended doing environmental testing and allergy shots or autoimmune shots, which will cost me $$$ in NYC. I'm for it, if that's what it has to be.

However, I'm wondering are there other options? We've tried Atopica and Apoquel prior to figuring out the food allergy. Atopic made him sleep excessively and lose a lot of hair; I took him off that ASAP. Apoquel seemed to not do much before. Should I try that again? The vet said that we could do shots and Apoquel. Would Apoquel by itself maybe be helpful? Or is there something I'm missing.

Thank you for any insight.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Gosh, I'm researching like crazy. My cat also has severe allergies - hers were determined to be environmental. What test did you do for the food allergy? My derm told me the food test isn't that reliable for cats and somewhat uncomfortable because they have to put some kind of string in their mouth to soak up saliva. We never did that test - but we did do blood testing and the skin prick testing. She was also on atopica for dogs for the past 2 years as well as allergy shots at home 2 days per week for 2 years. We recently had some crazy weird blood work come back super elevated blood protein and low albumin - along with other numbers that were messed up. We ended up being referred to an internal medicine specialst - NOT CHEAP! and they did ultra sound, eco cardiogram all negative. They took her off the atopica suspecting that might be the cause of the strange blood work results and now my poor girl is back itching making hot spots again on her belly. I never felt comfortable using the atopica and read the same about apoquel. I don't want to put her back on either. I am trying now to source some solution for this holistically. I have read good things about Ultra oil - it's an omega 3. 6, 9 and I'm giving that direct to her via a syringe, she refused to eat it in any wet food or raw. I also put her on a probiotic supplement ( Proviable DC ) to get her gut healed. She's lost a ton of fur since going off the atopica. I have also heard good things about using colloidal silver - lady at pet store I shop swears this was the only thing to cure her dog from licking himself raw constantly.
It's so frustrating to see our fur kids uncomfortable isn't it? After having the blood work scare and they suspected a rare blood cancer I got scared off the atopica and apoquel as a back up to try due to the risk of cancers they can cause. There has to be SOMETHING holistic out there that works! Does anyone have anything they have tried that has WORKED??? I should also mention about the allergy shots - I honestly don't know if they are working or not. I would think after 2 years of 2x weekly that even going off the atopica we would have seen some improvement but she is just about as itchy now as she was before. Not sure if it's worth continuing that or not to be honest. I heard it works for some and not others.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Gosh, I'm researching like crazy. My cat also has severe allergies - hers were determined to be environmental. What test did you do for the food allergy? My derm told me the food test isn't that reliable for cats and somewhat uncomfortable because they have to put some kind of string in their mouth to soak up saliva. We never did that test - but we did do blood testing and the skin prick testing. She was also on atopica for dogs for the past 2 years as well as allergy shots at home 2 days per week for 2 years. We recently had some crazy weird blood work come back super elevated blood protein and low albumin - along with other numbers that were messed up. We ended up being referred to an internal medicine specialst - NOT CHEAP! and they did ultra sound, eco cardiogram all negative. They took her off the atopica suspecting that might be the cause of the strange blood work results and now my poor girl is back itching making hot spots again on her belly. I never felt comfortable using the atopica and read the same about apoquel. I don't want to put her back on either. I am trying now to source some solution for this holistically. I have read good things about Ultra oil - it's an omega 3. 6, 9 and I'm giving that direct to her via a syringe, she refused to eat it in any wet food or raw. I also put her on a probiotic supplement ( Proviable DC ) to get her gut healed. She's lost a ton of fur since going off the atopica. I have also heard good things about using colloidal silver - lady at pet store I shop swears this was the only thing to cure her dog from licking himself raw constantly.
It's so frustrating to see our fur kids uncomfortable isn't it? After having the blood work scare and they suspected a rare blood cancer I got scared off the atopica and apoquel as a back up to try due to the risk of cancers they can cause. There has to be SOMETHING holistic out there that works! Does anyone have anything they have tried that has WORKED??? I should also mention about the allergy shots - I honestly don't know if they are working or not. I would think after 2 years of 2x weekly that even going off the atopica we would have seen some improvement but she is just about as itchy now as she was before. Not sure if it's worth continuing that or not to be honest. I heard it works for some and not others.
How about air purifier? Are you using it and if so, did that mAke any difference?