Cat Has Diarrhea. Possibly Food Related

Pinkie3.1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 3 months ago I adopted a cat that showed up on my doorstep. He had been abandoned by someone in our apartment complex. He had multiple wounds, earmites, and internal paracites. The earmites lead to a yeast infection in his ears. We got him fixed. He had diarrhea, but everyone thought it was from the paracites. I ended up switching to Freshpet, and everything got better. About two weeks ago I bought the food from the grocery store and forgot to check the experation date. It had expired 2 months prior. He ate one meal before I threw it out. It gave him pancreatitis. He seems to have made a full recovery, except he still has diarrhea. I just started him on Tikicat with zero luck. He has tons of energy, drinks lots of water. I can't afford another vet visit, but I don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You've tried the tiki cat varieties with pumpkin? You could try adding some fancy feast, or pureed meat baby food (without seasonings like gerber stage 2/sitters) or maybe even these, to try and help his tummy;
Kitten-Rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkie3.1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! You've tried the tiki cat varieties with pumpkin? You could try adding some fancy feast, or pureed meat baby food (without seasonings like gerber stage 2/sitters) or maybe even these, to try and help his tummy;
Kitten-Rescue.com
Mr.Kitty has been eating the pumpkin ones for 24 hrs. Diarrhea got worse.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, not good.
Have you had a chance to try the other things? Can you try adding plain unseasoned pumpkin?

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin actually has made diarrhea worse with one my cats. You might try boiled chicken breast to see if you can settle things down or baby food chicken--mine like Beechnut. You could do the chicken and baby food for a few days or a a week until hopefully stools improve and then transition very slowly to a food--Tiki cat just may not be the right food, of course. All kitties are different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkie3.1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to say thanks for the advice, really. I think I might have figured out the problem. He ran in fear because I picked up a paper towel roll to throw it away. Then I caught him stress grooming. I have suspected that he might have been hit by his last owner. This may be a problem that will take time to fix.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor baby!
Try some music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's also MusicForCats . com, hopefully this helps to relax him :)