Cat has blood in urine… Pls help

Gigi2345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 yr old domestic SH. This isn’t the first time he’s had this issue with blood in urine. Last year in November I noticed this issue for the first time and rushed my cat to an emergency vet they did a blood test but couldn’t say for sure what the issue was so they prescribed zeniquin antibiotic for 14 days. Five days later I decided to take my cat to my regular vet where they did a urinalysis and x-ray . Thankfully everything came back normal no red blood cells or white, no bacteria, no squamous cells. His X-rays also were normal no crystals or swelling. I’m not sure what to do this time around. Does anyone have any recommendations on what worked for your pet? Please help

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I'd head back to the vet. The fact that it is recurring may give them some more ideas. And if it is a severe idiopathic infection (no known reason), there may be some anti-stress medications that could help him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your next step might be to get an abdominal ultrasound which should show up issues that might not have been seen on a standard x-ray. Also, with x-rays, it is preferred to do at least a KUB (Kidney, Ureter, and Bladder) - which doesn't just focus on the bladder. There was a recent post about a cat who did not appear to have crystals through a urinalysis and standard x-rays but turned out to have crystals in other parts of the tract besides the bladder. The crystals can result in bleeding as they are trying to pass through the urinary tract due to the irritation they can cause on the surrounding tissue.

Just as a side note - has your cat had full spectrum blood work done (CBC, Super Chemistry panel)? At his age he needs one regardless of any outward signs of health issues. The blood work could pick up on things that might be attributing to his issue. If nothing shows up, it can still be used as a baseline for future blood work, to help identify potential issues early on. By the time a cat reaches 10 yo, an annual checkup including blood work is normally recommended. Some vets like to perform blood work twice a year as things can change quickly in older cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gigi2345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes my cat had a full spectrum blood work done on 11/11/21. His creatine levels were elevated and the first vet I took my cat to mentioned that based off IRIS standards it could indicate potential of an infection, crystals or kidney disease. However the vet was not able to perform urinalysis and X-rays that same day. Five days later I decided to take my cat to our regular vet this time around my regular vet was able to get a urinalysis and X-rays done. They came back normal. No crystals, no squamous cells, red blood or white blood cells in the urine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Five days later I decided to take my cat to our regular vet this time around my regular vet was able to get a urinalysis and X-rays done. They came back normal. No crystals, no squamous cells, red blood or white blood cells in the urine.
If the blood has started back up, call the vet and let them know. Ask about if an ultrasound or KUB (if not done before) might be next on the list. It does sound like it might be an inflammatory condition that was not picked up on the previous x-ray and may be brought on by stress - not necessarily something you could pick up on since cats can be pretty easily 'upset' by things we humans take for granted. These extra tests should indicate other types of anomalies that could cause the bleeding as well.

You could be looking at cystitis - which does not always have to include infections or crystals.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles