Cat has blood clot from fight in his ear......

stephanief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a blood clot in his ear from a cat fight (the tip is also bent backwards). His ear is still functioning (move forward & back) and seems to not be in pain. My problem is that I am a single mom and don't have money to take him to a vet. This fight happened about 3 weeks ago and I am worried that this could be major. Is there someone who had been through this problem or maybe a site where a cat lover can ask questions to a vet for free? I looked through your site and could find nothing relating to my problem.
Please help!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have looked but I havnt seen any web vets for free. Unfortunatly having the animals goes with the bills. It is something that should be looked at because it could cause problems down the road. That and the cat fights are how disease is transmitted, you want to make sure there isnt an infection. You should look and see if theres a low cost vet clinic in your area. Some humane societies have vets that they work with. Good luck to you with this!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sounds like a hematoma to me and it probably needs veterinary treatment and not just consultation. You need to get him to the vet - like Sandie suggested, you may try at local shelters for low-cost veterinary care.

These things usually happen to intact tom cats that get into fights with other males. Therefore, in the long run the cheapest treatment is to have the cat neutered (assuming he's not neutered already
)

abi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agreed, an vet visit is needed to see if something is infected or needs to be incised and drained (I&D). Are you anywhere near a school of vetinary medicine? I hope your Tom's ear heals up soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I hope so too. I do plan on taking him in Monday to find out what is wrong. I will update everyone on the diagnosis. To the best of my knowledge there is not a vet school near me. I live in North Houston (Tomball) Texas--you would think there would be.