Cat has been acting strange

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Crossing my fingers for you and your girl! Hopefully it is something easily managed! She's beautiful and you both are in my heart!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about her tooth/mouth? It could be she stopped eating and drinking due to pain, causing the dehydration. I just want to make sure the vet knows to check her mouth very carefully. Dehydration can cause blood work to look like kidney issues sometimes.
But at the same time...tooth problems are linked to kidney disease too.
My kitty with CKD also suffered from tooth infections regularly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally some better news. It was a UTI that caused a kidney infection. I feel so bad because nothing was out of the ordinary until a few days ago and I wish she would have let me know sooner so it didn't cause a kidney issue. She may have permanent kidney damage but we won't know until tomorrow.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about her tooth/mouth? It could be she stopped eating and drinking due to pain, causing the dehydration. I just want to make sure the vet knows to check her mouth very carefully. Dehydration can cause blood work to look like kidney issues sometimes.
But at the same time...tooth problems are linked to kidney disease too.
My kitty with CKD also suffered from tooth infections regularly.
This was my thought as well! She looked like she had difficulty eating. She did have bacteria in her urine so she definitely has a UTI but when the vet calls me tomorrow morning I'll mention it. Thanks for the tip!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

She is doing very well today! I'm not sure the exact names of the things the tested for, but while they are still very elevated, they aren't nearly as bad. The example the vet gave me was that the high end of normal for one of the tests is 2.8, she was at an 8 Yesterday, and back down to a 4.6 today. She is eating and drinking on her own now and I was told she's perking up as well. She will have to stay until Monday but it looks like she'll be able to come home then!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got another call from the vet, and there's a very good chance she will be coming home tomorrow! She's eating and drinking well and started peeing and pooping on her own ( she had a catheter because they were pushing fluids in and pumping them out to flush her kidneys). The vet told me she's doing great and is getting more active by the hour! She will get more blood work and urine testing done tomorrow just to make sure everything is going well. I'm still not sure if she will have to be on any medication when she gets home but I should know by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you all so much! In the beginning I was definitely second guessing taking her to the vet. I had called two days in a row and one of the receptionists made me feel like it wasn't an emergency and that I could take her in next month 🤦 if I had listened to her and hadn't been pushy about getting an emergency appointment, Fiona might not have been coming home at all. Thank you for the emotional support and all the love! I'll be sure to update her coming home and post lots of pictures!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet just called and he said that although her blood work isn't perfect, she's doing well enough that he gave me the option of having her come home today. While I would love to keep her there until everything is 100%, my financial situation won't let me as he said they could be normal by tomorrow, but most likely she would be there for 2 or 3 more days until they are 100%. But because she's doing much better, he felt comfortable giving me the option of letting her come home. She will have to go back for blood work Wednesday and if everything is doing well she can stay home and if not, back to the hospital she goes so fingers crossed she continues to improve while at home!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay!! She's home! I have her closed in my room to help her settle down a bit, especially because I still have my daycare kids here. Now I have a question, she has a habit of pooping in the carrier in the car, and she did this twice and peed. She was also extremely drooly which is either from stress ir the medication she's in. But her back end and chest is now wet and stinky but I don't want to give her a bath Because that would be way too much stress after just getting home. What should I do in the mean time, and how long should I wait before getting her all cleaned up?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you use a damp cloth?
See if she'll let you, if not wait a little bit and try again, but I'd want to get that "stuff" off her skin as soon as she'll let you.

I'm so glad she's home!!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely try, I have some of those pet wipes I can use. I think I might have some waterless shampoo I can use too. Thank you!! I'll send pictures as soon as she's all settled in! As soon as I opened her carrier she jumped right to her favorite spot on the top of my dresser and started grooming (she hadn't done that for a few days before we took her to the vet) so I'm glad to see she's feeling better enough to make herself presentable 😂