Cat has been acting strange

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Obviously I will be taking her to the vet but I wanted to seek some opinions and advice while waiting for my appointment to be scheduled. My female cat, who according to the breeder ( she was a retired breeding cat) was 3 years old when I got her about 8 months ago. The past few days she has been crying in a really strange way I've never heard before, almost like a baby crying. She's also been staring off into space, and just kid of gingerly sits and stares. I did just recently started daycare, and the kids do know not to touch or play with her and she usually stays up above their reach anyway. So I don't think she was grabbed and hurt in anyway. I don't know if this is a stress response to everything new going on or if something is really wrong. I'm just concerned because these are all new behaviors. She's eating normally but does see to be drinking more often, although it has been really hot here the past few days. Any opinions or advice is appreciated, I'm just very concerned!

Also, not sure if this is important information or not, but we do have an un-nutered male kitten. He's definitely getting to the age where he needs to be nutered shorty, often acts crazy, has a bad habit of attacking hands and feet as people walk by. Normally my female with growl or hiss but lately, she hasn't bothered him at all even when he's pouncing on her tail. I'm curious to know if perhaps her strange behavior is because she was a breeding cat an now that there's an of age make it's making her act weird? He isn't spraying that we know of yet, although we'd probably know right away if he was.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm not clear, has she been spayed?
Also are you providing her with more ways to retreat, such as a room of her own where she can get away from all the chaos, and calming products?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she's spayed! and she has the entire downstairs to her self. We have a baby gate that's lifted about a foot off the ground so she has plenty of room to get under and not have to jump over every time. That way the kids can't follow her. She also has a cat tree in the living room that she can't be reached on if she chooses to come upstairs. I'm actually surprised because she chooses to stay and lay on the couch so I don't necessarily think she's stressed or she'd be spending her time in a safe spot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if they can get you in sooner than later, the way she's sitting, and crying, seems so odd. I'm sending lots of hugs!!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know if there were kids at the breeders home? What is happening when she makes the crying baby sound?
I usually notice the crying first thing in the morning. Usually at that time the older one is eating his breakfast and the baby is going down for a morning nap. A few times I had to stop what I was doing and really listen because I thought the baby was waking up but it was my poor kitty ☹ And I believe there were kids but definitely a lot older than the ones I have here. The owner mentioned her kids being in school and playing sports so I'd assume at the least middle School aged.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See if they can get you in sooner than later, the way she's sitting, and crying, seems so odd. I'm sending lots of hugs!!
Thank you! It's definitely behavior that's out of the ordinary for her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For her emotional health, try cat music, there's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually notice the crying first thing in the morning. Usually at that time the older one is eating his breakfast and the baby is going down for a morning nap. A few times I had to stop what I was doing and really listen because I thought the baby was waking up but it was my poor kitty ☹ And I believe there were kids but definitely a lot older than the ones I have here. The owner mentioned her kids being in school and playing sports so I'd assume at the least middle School aged.
I'd definitely still see the vet. But I wonder if it isnt just shes gotten comfortable in the home and is feeling a little needy at the moments attention is elsewhere. I know my girl is a moody child and at times will get between me and whatever for attention.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely still see the vet. But I wonder if it isnt just shes gotten comfortable in the home and is feeling a little needy at the moments attention is elsewhere. I know my girl is a moody child and at times will get between me and whatever for attention.
Good point, I did give her a can of tuna and she perked right up. I'll have to give her extra cuddles and see if her mood improves at all. She definitely loves her attention and will often stick her butt in your face as you're reading or on the computer 😂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only wondered because meezers (and peacocks) have an amazing cability to sound like human babies :)

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! She started to perk up today! I'm still scheduling a vet appt because she's almost due for a yearly checkup up anyway, but she looks and acts much better today! Yesterday she stayed curled up on the couch under some blankies and today she's sitting in her favorite spot again and even gave me a purr when I pet her! She also ate really well this morning
IMG_20200729_100027.jpg

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update, while she is acting much better, I have an appointment for her tomorrow afternoon. I'm almost thinking she needs a tooth pulled because I threw some Tuna in a blender after I noticed that when she goes to eat her dry food, she takes a mouth full and kind of rolls it around before spitting it out. She ate that wet food like she hasn't eaten in days. I am now wondering how much she's actually eaten the past few days. I have one of those refilling bowls so it's hard to tell if she has or hasn't eaten. No more free feeding for her so I can monitor that! I've also noticed that her breath smells more than usual. Like so bad that after she grooms herself her fur smells. At least I'm hoping that it's as simple as getting a tooth removed and not something more serious. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I'll be sure to post another update as soon as we hear back from the vet! In the meantime, keep us in your thoughts!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worried update:

Finally got into the vet, she's very dehydrated. They are taking blood to rule out UTI vs kidney disease and to determine how dehydrated she is. Fingers crossed it's a UTI and she doesn't need to be hospitalized with an IV. Please send thoughts out way. I hate that she has to be alone in the vet for all this.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Blood work came back, all of her levels are very high, pointing to kidney disease or a UTI. Doing a urine sample now to check for bacteria or other signs of a UTI. She will need to be hospitalized until Monday to bring her fluid levels back up.