Cat has alleriges!!

lynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have a cat that has allergies?? Emma Ann is allergic to dust and dust mites. I'm having a bad time. We use pills and shots and this doesn't seem to work well!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard of this before! What are the symptoms? Come to think of it, my Joey sneezes an awful lot for a cat. I never thought it could be an allergy.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure its mites and dust? What kinds of tests were done? Id be curious to see if it's those allergins for sure.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cat can sure have allergies. The most common ones are probably food allergies, but I think I once heard my vet mention that there are all sorts of cat allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet did an skin test and blood serum test. I live in Ft Wayne IN and Emma's Allergist is in Ohio no less.
She's been copughing alott the last two weeks with the meds. I checked out he dry food and remembered someone saying sometime about corn products.

I found some without corn by-products. We have had the chicken/rice and deer/potatoes you name it!!!

At least she hadn't lost her fur!!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What medications do they have her on? Also, how long did you keep her on the new food? The only reason I am asking is because the vet I work for specializes in these sorts of things. I see this quite a bit. I can talk to him Monday and get his oppinion on this matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Emma gets 2.5 mg Prednisolone dly plus 2-4 mg Chlorpheniramine as needed, depending on how moist her cough is getting. She gets 40 units of the serum from Dr Patrick Breen D.V.M. Cincinnati Ohio. I have no idea what it is!!!! She get a shot once a week.

It just a heart break to hear her cough!! Last night was a bad night, she was up twice during the night. She fairly good during the morning and afternoon hours.

It's hard to think about kitty heaven, but it is a heart break to hear her cough. Other than that she's active and alert!!! And a shadow to me, anywhere I am she is!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lynne have you had her chest x rayed at all? Have they ruled out chronic asthma? I will ask the vet I work with Monday and get back to you on the meds that night.