Cat Has A Swollen Forehead/bump

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all..
My boy is in pain again.. I think.
There's a big bump on his forehead.. between his eyes, on top of his nose. It didn't exist just 6 hours ago! I brush his face for a minute or so everyday with a mascara wand. I know his very very well. His forehead was flat just this afternoon. I can't tell what could it be. Could it get swollen from a trauma or an injury? He's acting normal. I touched it a few times very gently just to feel it. I couldn't tell if it being touched hurt or bothered him or he just wanted to get away. I'm super worried... have you ever seen anything like this that was NOT serious? I already have an appointment with the vet in 3 days because of random sneezing here and there and to get his vaccines updated. I just wanna make sure 3 days is not too long for this bump. And I can't tell if it could be related to his sneezing as this didn't even exist just 6 hours ago.

Attached are photos. Please help...

Attachments

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he have been stung by a bee?

I don't know what causes this, but I fear it's either infected or injured. I think if it were my cat I'd be calling and asking to move the appointment up.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you...
He's a completely indoor cat and I don't think any bee or fly entered the house...
I called the vet. The eatliest they could move the appointment was tomorrow afternoon..

Does anyone else have any idea what could cause this overnight.. if it were broken or fractured he'd be in a lot of pain? I'm really worried...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be swelling from allergies, and infection, maybe an abscess? no way to know without a vet visit. I dont know about a fracture, that would not be my first thoughts, but i could be wrong? did he have a fall, or accident?

I would say try not to worry too much, hard i know. And just take the first vet visit you can get. Tomorrow afternoon. Do let us know how he is doing, we will worry right along with you!

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Well.. I have got a wild child. He plays rough and is super accident prone. Just this morning as I was about to leave for work..worried sick about his bump.. he hit the back of his head under the bed! So who knows.. maybe he hit his forehead hard too..

Is it normal for them to swell up in an area from non-bleeding trauma or injury? Does icepacks help them like it helps us? I was able to move his appointment earlier in the afternoon by like 2 hours..

I'll keep you guys posted for sure. If it turns out to be worse than what I think it is you know I'll come back crying to the forum..

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hopefully your little wild child just bumped his face, and no serious injury done. With not knowing for sure what it is i dont think i would try the ice pack. Wait and see what your vet says. Fingers crossed for the cute little guy! :crossfingers:

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Came home to his puke...

The food wasn't chewed at all.. he always chews.. why would he do this now..

I need to run to the emergency?...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if the two things are related, the nose bump and the throw up, possibly. Do you have an emergency clinic you can go to? It would be the safest thing to do, may not be needed, but would be safest. Sounds like he does have some issues going on.

We do not have an after hours clinic anywhere i my area. I so wish we did.

Keep us updated, let us know whats going on. Im thinking of you guys!

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it seems like he got hurt playing rough! told me to give it 2 weeks and if anything changes in between to bring him back! I was so happy to know that it wasn't an actual "growth"! PHEW!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! Im not glad he got hurt, but im glad thats the explanation rather than a growth as well. Hopefully in 2 weeks he will be all recovered! :heartshape:

Bonnie- Bonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, this was the closest I could find related to what my Bonnie has, took her to the vet and they gave me 5 options to what it could be. Vet said cats don’t get bumps from hard hitting themselves, so they did labs and since they came back normal. They want me to go back for a biopsy. However bump seems to be going slightly down. Was your cat ok after two weeks? Here is a picture of my cat forehead left (NOW) , right (one days ago)

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP was told that it was an injury from playing too hard and the thread was left at that. Has not been back to TCS in over a year. What are the vet's suspicions about what your cat could have?

Bonnie- Bonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OP was told that it was an injury from playing too hard and the thread was left at that. Has not been back to TCS in over a year. What are the vet's suspicions about what your cat could have?
They said since her blood work came back clean from any infection or bacteria , they need to get in the bump and get it tested with X-rays to make sure it’s not a tumor or cancer :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hopefully this is nothing serious. Bumps can certainly be benign; they don't have to be cancerous. Does your vet only want x-rays or does he want an actual biopsy? I would agree with going to the next step, at least the x-ray, and see what it shows.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, the vet can do a fine needle aspiration of the tissue in the bump to have it analyzed - as follow up to the x-ray instead of an actual biopsy. A lot less invasive and generally wouldn't even require any form of sedation. Ask about the vet about this approach.

Last edited:

Bonnie- Bonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that’s what they will do , the aspiration and get it tested. X-rays along with it. But since my Bonnie really dislikes the vet they will have to sedated for it :( . Swelling does seem to be going down. It appeared out of nowhere. Monday nothing and Tuesday night it was there

Bonnie- Bonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update from Bonnie, after a whole day at the vet for sedation ,xray and aspiration , no cancerous or abnormal cells were found and Vet said yes it could have been a hard hit on the head or a bug bite. She will be on anti inflammatory medición until it’s gone. Thank you so much for the suggestions and good vibes my baby will be ok 🙌🏼