Cat Has A Poop In His Butt

igairwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I hope you all have a good day :)
The reason why I have registered on this site is because of the problem I've been dealing with for the past 3 months. I got my first cat in July. At the beggining everything was fine, we were just slowly getting to know each other :) But then.. My cat started having a dirty butt. I've been using wet wipes to clean him, but I don't know what else I could do. I took him to the vet, but he told me that everything is OK (I got his poop tested). I tried to change his food (from this one: ) to , but still nothing has changed. There are days, when everything is alright and I don't have to clean him, but it''s very rare. What am I doing wrong? May he have some kind of a food allergy? I thought about changing his food again, but this time to . Has anyone have this problem too? Please, help me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does he have loose stool or diarrhea on the occasions when his behind is dirty? If so, that could be food related, but would be odd for it not to be a daily event - unless you are inter-changing his foods throughout the week and the times of those changes matches the dirty butt (and stool issues, if any) incidents.

Does he go outside at all, where he could be getting into something that is not agreeing with his digestive tract? That would better explain the intermittency of it.

If there is no loose stool or diarrhea involved, then I am not sure how changing his food is going to affect whether or not he cleans his backend. Maybe some other members can address this aspect with first hand experiences.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

igairwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Does he have loose stool or diarrhea on the occasions when his behind is dirty? If so, that could be food related, but would be odd for it not to be a daily event - unless you are inter-changing his foods throughout the week and the times of those changes matches the dirty butt (and stool issues, if any) incidents.

Does he go outside at all, where he could be getting into something that is not agreeing with his digestive tract? That would better explain the intermittency of it.

If there is no loose stool or diarrhea involved, then I am not sure how changing his food is going to affect whether or not he cleans his backend. Maybe some other members can address this aspect with first hand experiences.
Thank your for your reply. I've started changing his food only 1 month ago, so I'm sure it's not the reason. His stool is not loose. He doesn't go outside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only other thing that came to mind is that sometimes if the litter boxes aren't cleaned out as frequently as some cats like them to be, they will get into the litter box, go as fast as they can, and get out - sometimes before they are completely "done" going. Other cats will sit down in the litter to 'go' and if there is stuff already in there, it can get on their behinds that way.

Also, many cats don't generally clean themselves immediately after leaving the litter box - maybe you are catching him before he has a chance?

If you adopted an older adult cat, arthritis can affect how well they clean also. Lastly, some cats just aren't good cleaners.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is his stool like Score 1?

The only time I saw some poop on my cat's butt was when she leaned towards constipation. With dry-only diet, especially if it's grain-free it's not uncommon to get firmer stools that are sometimes too firm.

If possible try adding more wet food into his daily diet and add a bit extra water to that too. You can also try some hairball remedies in case hair is making the situation worse.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he have long hair? When I had my Maine coon mix I had to have his “underwear” area shaved once every 3-4 weeks to keep him tidy cus sometimes his poop would just catch in his long hair. Getting rid of lids on the boxes helped a lot but I still kept his area nice and tidy to help prevent it from happening again

igairwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is his stool like Score 1?

The only time I saw some poop on my cat's butt was when she leaned towards constipation. With dry-only diet, especially if it's grain-free it's not uncommon to get firmer stools that are sometimes too firm.

If possible try adding more wet food into his daily diet and add a bit extra water to that too. You can also try some hairball remedies in case hair is making the situation worse.
Thank you for your reply. It's more like score 2, sometimes score 3, but not very often.

igairwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he have long hair? When I had my Maine coon mix I had to have his “underwear” area shaved once every 3-4 weeks to keep him tidy cus sometimes his poop would just catch in his long hair. Getting rid of lids on the boxes helped a lot but I still kept his area nice and tidy to help prevent it from happening again
Thank you for your reply. He's Russian Blue and doesn't have long hair. I also tried to get rid of the lid for a while, but it helped only for 2-3 days and then the problem was back

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about a pic of the problem.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank your for your reply. I've started changing his food only 1 month ago, so I'm sure it's not the reason. His stool is not loose. He doesn't go outside.
When doing food trials I think you have to leave them on the new one longer than that. If you have changed it more than once in a month that could be the issue. Pick a food and stick to it. If anything add canned to the diet and cut back on the dry (esp for a male cat!) to keep him properly hydrated.