Cat has a bald spot on the side of her face?

Sammy93x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers! I have a 16 year old cat and I recently noticed she has developed a bald spot near the side of her mouth. She isn't acting sick or anything, just her normal cuddly self. I'm just worried about what caused the bald spot? The only new thing we have given her recently is one of those automatic water fountains. Thanks in advance for advice! If it doesn't clear up in a week I'll be taking her to the vet.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That spot doesn't look good - hard to tell, but it almost looks like an ulcer or an abscess. Is she scratching at it at all? Does she go outdoors at all - possibly got into something out there? Watch her at the fountain and see if she could be rubbing up against something that might have caused it.

But, the bottom line, with a cat that age I would be hesitant to wait a week to see the vet. At a minimum, if your vet accepts pictures, send one to the them and ask about it. Odds are though, given her age, the vet is going to tell you to bring her in for a closer look.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That spot doesn't look good - hard to tell, but it almost looks like an ulcer or an abscess.But, the bottom line, with a cat that age I would be hesitant to wait a week to see the vet.
I completely agree, that was my first thought after looking at the pics. :agree: It would be in your cat's best interest to contact your vet. A 16 year old cat is considered a senior and there are certain age related issues. This Article on health concerns in aging cats may be helpful: Health Concerns In Aging Cats