Cat Hardly Eating Cat Food - But She Is Still Interested In Turkey Coldcuts & Ice Cream & Tuna

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has been eating wet and dry food for years. well last week she stopped eating her regular wet and dry food. figuring it was time for a new flavor, we tried about 10 different flavors/brands of food, and she won't have it. i even tried putting nutritional yeast on the food, but nope.

the weird thing is she is still interested in turkey and ice cream, she will eat that. so it's not like she won't eat anything.

thoughts?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

The first thing to do when a cat stops eating is get her checked out by a vet. There are many physical reasons for a cat going off her food, so it's important to find out WHY she's not eating.

A cat can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) in as little as 48hrs without food. This can be fatal if left untreated, so it's vital to get Kitty eating ASAP.
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

The first thing to do when a cat stops eating is get her checked out by a vet. There are many physical reasons for a cat going off her food, so it's important to find out WHY she's not eating.

A cat can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) in as little as 48hrs without food. This can be fatal if left untreated, so it's vital to get Kitty eating ASAP.
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

ok I will get her to a cat, thank you!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet. Sometimes cats have very subtle ways of telling us something's wrong, and blood work and an exam might reveal something that needs to be addressed.

Even if her issue is just psychological, it could turn medically serious if she doesn't get enough calories, so definitely make sure she eats somehow. Cat food is obviously best, but whatever she will eat is much better than nothing. I've had some success with one of my cats when she wasn't eating by sticking a slice of deli meat down on the bottom of her bowl, and spreading some canned food on top, so she licks up a good deal of cat food while trying to lick up the deli meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reginaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i will try your suggestion of deli meat/canned foot, and i'm calling vets now to make an appt asap, thanks!