Cat hard bump on nose bridge

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

my cat is a 2 yo British shorthair called Pepi. In May i Noticed a hard lump on his nose bridge, it basically felt like bone and was totally under the skin/fur. Didn’t seem to bother him at all! I took a photo and asked the vet who didn’t seem that bothered. He has had a few problems with URIs in the past and often has a bit of a runny nose (clear). I took him to the vet a couple of months ago and he had another URI. the lump doesn’t seem to affect him, he is acting completely normally and eating well. I have noticed that it goes down slightly then gets a little larger and vice versa, but they’re only small changes.
47092749-E639-46A4-B333-FE4419CB151D.jpeg
EB2E82FF-D295-49C8-8515-04F6EFB39B93.jpeg

Have you got any ideas what it may be? Thanks :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi (again)! My first reaction is that he might have some sort of polyp, or other kind of growth, on the inside of his nose. It may be impacted by the URIs - aka, swelling of the nasal membrane with an infection, causing it to increase in size? Does the increase in size happen to coincide with his URIs? It could even be part of the reason for Pepi's URIs? Anyway, that is just a wild guess on my part.

Did you let the vet know its size changes from time to time? Do you think it has increased in size over time at all? It might be worth asking the vet if an x-ray would shed any light on what it might be.

Hoping other members will come along soon with some ideas for you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His vet really should check this in person, mainly because of the varying size. It is almost, almost, something simple to fix, but let's not take chances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi (again)! My first reaction is that he might have some sort of polyp, or other kind of growth, on the inside of his nose. It may be impacted by the URIs - aka, swelling of the nasal membrane with an infection, causing it to increase in size? Does the increase in size happen to coincide with his URIs? It could even be part of the reason for Pepi's URIs? Anyway, that is just a wild guess on my part.

Did you let the vet know its size changes from time to time? Do you think it has increased in size over time at all? It might be worth asking the vet if an x-ray would shed any light on what it might be.

Thank you so much for your reply. Now i look at photos of him before - it is so hard to tell if it has actually increased in size! I think it might just be the angle of the camera - it is so difficult to work out. I have attached a photo here from June as a comparison - see what you think. These were taken same day - different angles!

I was initially thinking a benign polyp as he has no other symptoms whatsoever, and is completely healthy in himself. If anything, too healthy, and i've got him on a diet! It defeinitely could be part of the reason for his URIs....we just put him down as a bit of a chronic snuffler due to his breed. So would a next step be askign for an x-ray? The vet saw him a couple of months ago for a URI and didn't seem that concerned with it.

Many thanks

Alice

nose1.jpg nose 2.jpg

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His vet really should check this in person, mainly because of the varying size. It is almost, almost, something simple to fix, but let's not take chances.
Hiya. Thank you for your reply! I am unsure if it is changing size now....to be honest it is so hard to tell! I have attached two more photos to the above response.....

Many thanks

Alice

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The angle in which a picture is taken can certainly make a difference! I guess if it were me, I would want to talk to the vet and ask them why they don't seem to think it is an issue. If you think the URIs and the bump may somehow be connected, you could explain to the vet of your speculation. Maybe they will explain their thought process, if they disagree with you about that being a possibility. If they don't convince you that they are correct, then ask them about an x-ray (or something), if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind.

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice! Really appreciate it :) Alice

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Angles make it hard to tell. But do ask the vet why they aren't concerned about it. They may actually tell you, "Oh, this is just a (fill in the blank).

Vee K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My cat has a very similar issue. I took her to the vet and they ran a blood sample to check for a fungus (I forgot the name) but it came back negative. Vet said to monitor the size that it is a remote chance that it could be another issue: bone tumor, or other issue. My cat is not even a year old and she came from the shelter. Vet did not seem overly concerned but said to come back in a month to check for changes. My cat has no other issues: no discharge, normal behavior, does not scratch or rub her nose. She plays normally too. I don't like what I see and I am still concerned. I took her to another vet and she did not seem concerned either...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi V Vee K ! Take pics of it so if it grows or changes you can share that with the vet in a month. With no other issues going on (unless they do happen), you will at least have pics of the current size and any changes going forward.

We haven't heard back from porkie12 porkie12 (that I am aware of), so maybe they can chime in if they see your post.

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi both. To be honest there has been absolutely no change in the bump on Pepi's nose. I had a video consultation with the vet a month or so ago after i posted on here, and he said we can try steroids to bring it down but he isn't concerned with it. Once lockdown is over, i will take him in for a check-up along side his regular annual jabs and they can have a better look then. Is your cat a brachycephalic breed like mine? If so it might be something to do with that....Pepi has had the lump for over a year now with no change and his his happy playful self, so i am confident it is benign. Pepi is only 2, so similar age to yours, and it sounds like your cat's may be benign too :)

Kepp me updated though!

Abichippy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. My 2.5 year old Scottish straight has a similar bump on his nose. I think it’s been there since he was young, maybe 6/7 months. Seems ever so slightly more prominent the past year, but it could be the picture angle. Does your cat’s bump feel like a hard nose bridge and narrows in the middle at the end of the bump?
6EF8ED4E-5F10-4432-A21F-98AB733D9EB6.jpeg
5B8CF797-588C-46CC-AF03-6FF44C9CE380.jpeg

Vee K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitty is beautiful! Yes, my cat has the same issue. Her bump is hard, (feels like bone) and it does narrow at the tip of the nose. She is just over 1 yo and it did grow with her. I had her tested for fungus and it came back negative. I still monitor her for any nasal drip which she does not have, or other symptoms. She does snort a bit when she is resting I can her that her nasal breathing does not seem completely clear. Otherwise she is happy and playful and does not seem bothered by it. I will always worry though...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Abichippy & V Vee K - If the bumps seem to interfere at all with breathing (e.g.; even snorting), and/or grows in size at all - the bumps could be anything from nasal polyps to excess cartilage. I would think a vet could do a simple head x-ray to see if anything shows up. Not saying it is of such an urgent nature that you need to take your cats in immediately, but I would certainly talk to the vet about an x-ray the next time your cats have vet appts. If your cats are reasonably cooperative the x-ray could likely be done without any kind of sedation!!

Last edited:

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya yes my cat's is the same. it tapers down towards the end and is completely hard and feels like bone. His lump has stayed completely the same for just over a year now. He is due his check up in July so i will ask them about it then! I'm wondering if it might be something to do with flat-faced breeds?

Abichip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I’d definitely bring this up during his next appointment, I feel slightly better that your kitties’ bump feel very similar to mine’s. I’ll keep you guys updated if there are any changes :)

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! I’d definitely bring this up during his next appointment, I feel slightly better that your kitties’ bump feel very similar to mine’s. I’ll keep you guys updated if there are any changes :)
hello! Hope you are well:) may i ask does this look similar to your cats bump? I noticed this on her nose and her nose looked kinda smaller than normal but i think it can be related her fur are longer and bushy than before.

Attachments

porkie12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There. It does look similar! I was meaning to update this thread actually. Pepi had his annual healt check and vaccinations earlier this week and the vet said it was probably just excess cartlidge which can happen in flatter faced breeds, which is encouraging :) :)

aleeming

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

my cat is a 2 yo British shorthair called Pepi. In May i Noticed a hard lump on his nose bridge, it basically felt like bone and was totally under the skin/fur. Didn’t seem to bother him at all! I took a photo and asked the vet who didn’t seem that bothered. He has had a few problems with URIs in the past and often has a bit of a runny nose (clear). I took him to the vet a couple of months ago and he had another URI. the lump doesn’t seem to affect him, he is acting completely normally and eating well. I have noticed that it goes down slightly then gets a little larger and vice versa, but they’re only small changes. View attachment 365259View attachment 365260
Have you got any ideas what it may be? Thanks :)
I had a cat have this and it turned out to be histoplasmosis in her bones. It wasn't diagnosed until she got really sick and I saw an internist. Regular vets thought she was fine and maybe bumped her nose but she slowly went downhill. Her nose eventually really blew up.

So it is likely nothing but could be terrible. I would insist on more investigation (without putting the cat through a lot if he seems otherwise healthy). Sometimes vets ignore things that don't seem bad until they are

aleeming

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add if it isn't changing I would be less worried. If it gets bigger I would be a lot more concerned.