Cat happy

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have (am the guardian of) 2 cats. The oldest I found by the dumpster in my apt complex at about 6-8 was old. He's a BEAUTIFUL gold, tan, black and white mackerel/spotted American/domestic shorthair with possible Bengal crossbreeding. He was very clean and wearing a flea collar and I'm sure someone just let him get away. He's now 9.5-10 months. My second cat is a ultra cute classic black and white tuxedo American/Domestic shorthair mix.I got him at 5 weeks, he's now almost 7
5 months. I live in a 1 bedroom apt and they have been exclusively indoor cats save for when I accompany them on the stairwell (3rd story) to get a little fresh air and taste of the outside world. They have always seemed rather content and happy as I try and play/ bond with them daily but recently they seem more and more difficult to entertain and have their attention kept. I've bought numerous toys and interactive wands over the months as well as 2 nice trees and 2 cat beds but I'm concerned that eventually their going to become bored and depressed. I do plan on training them to do a couple of tricks and was also considering leash training them. I was also considering possibly just letting them roam freely outside at some point. I'm aware of the risk and dangers as well as life ex poop expectancy of indoor vs outdoor cats. One of my concerns with outside exposure is that they would still be kept inside the vast majority of the time and that they would be totally discontent indoors as a result of being exposed regularly to the outdoors. That is to say that it's better that they not know what their missing. These are my first indoor cats. I was raised in the country and always had outdoor cats that came and went as they pleased. Honestly, I've never been much of an animal person however I've always considered myself a cat person (vs dogs). I'm REALLY surprised at the level I've bonded worth these little critters and misty of all just want them to be content. In that vein I would give them away if I could find what I consider the optimal indoor/outdoor situation. I would appreciate any advice from experienced cat people who may have experienced the same concerns in the past. Thanks

Attachments

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8-year-old rescue became so despondent that he developed struvite crystals. I Did everything to change his stress( play, toys,wet only food etc) I finally began taking him in back yard supervised. He is now much better. He still has epilepsy but he finally seems happy and rarely brutal issue. So maybe a harness and leash? My guy never was able to do that but boredom is a very real thing for some. The fact that you care enough to post shows me you'll find his " thing"

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more you play with a cat, often times the more of your time and attention they want. The better a job you do, the more bonded the cat is, and the more bonded the cat, the more of you it wants. Its a circle, and just being honest, its just not alway possible to keep up when the cat is very young and very bonded. They are going to meow at you for more, at times when you don't feel you can give it. That doesn't mean your not taking great care of them or that they are unhappy. You just do the best you can. Not so different than with human children in that way.

Eventually they get older and less active, and everyone settles in. If you are trying, it will all work out well in the end.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have your attention and they have themselves, you might be overworrying at this point if they don’t show the signs of boredom. Indoor cats can be very, very happy if they have stimulation and enriched environment which seems they do per your description. I decided against taking my cats on leash due to the side effects of this and they’re happy with this decision- as you noticed, they don’t know any other way (although mine both were rescued from outside as kittens).

You can shuffle their toys and hide for two weeks or more and then offer again, they should be happy with them again. And in my case, I noticed that playing according to schedule rather than on demand really helps. We play with cats everyday at the same times of the day and since we started it, they don’t beg us to play, they know they have to entertain each other or alone outside of this playing routine.
Btw if you’re interested in their breed and characteristics, you can post their pictures in the Description forum and I’m sure lutece lutece will give you detailed description of their coloring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8-year-old rescue became so despondent that he developed struvite crystals. I Did everything to change his stress( play, toys,wet only food etc) I finally began taking him in back yard supervised. He is now much better. He still has epilepsy but he finally seems happy and rarely brutal issue. So maybe a harness and leash? My guy never was able to do that but boredom is a very real thing for some. The fact that you care enough to post shows me you'll find his " thing"
They seem fine for the and certainly aren't showing signs of major stress related issues, I just want to optimize their situation to the best of ability. It's good to know that exposure to nature could resolve potential future problems. Thanks for your input

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The more you play with a cat, often times the more of your time and attention they want. The better a job you do, the more bonded the cat is, and the more bonded the cat, the more of you it wants. Its a circle, and just being honest, its just not alway possible to keep up when the cat is very young and very bonded. They are going to meow at you for more, at times when you don't feel you can give it. That doesn't mean your not taking great care of them or that they are unhappy. You just do the best you can. Not so different than with human children in that way.

Eventually they get older and less active, and everyone settles in. If you are trying, it will all work out well in the end.

I hadn't really thought about it in that context but as with most everything in life I suppose it all comes back to balance. Thanks for your insight.

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have your attention and they have themselves, you might be overworrying at this point if they don’t show the signs of boredom. Indoor cats can be very, very happy if they have stimulation and enriched environment which seems they do per your description. I decided against taking my cats on leash due to the side effects of this and they’re happy with this decision- as you noticed, they don’t know any other way (although mine both were rescued from outside as kittens).

You can shuffle their toys and hide for two weeks or more and then offer again, they should be happy with them again. And in my case, I noticed that playing according to schedule rather than on demand really helps. We play with cats everyday at the same times of the day and since we started it, they don’t beg us to play, they know they have to entertain each other or alone outside of this playing routine.
Btw if you’re interested in their breed and characteristics, you can post their pictures in the Description forum and I’m sure lutece lutece will give you detailed description of their coloring.
Ok, I hadn't considered the scheduled playtime angle. It's also helpful to hear that someone else had thought about not exposing them to the outdoors because of the same concerns that I expressed and had not done so with positive results occurring. I think maybe I'll just keep them inside full time for know as they do seem quite content for the time being. Thanks 🙂

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
4 of my cats were plucked from the streets so they were initially used to life outdoors. I bought them cat trees, toys etc and play with them on schedule, at least 15 mins in the morning before i leave for work, and half an hour- 1 hour at night before sleeping. My Bourbon, of all my cats, is the only one displaying “boredom” in the house and scratches the windows, doors. But once I play with her again, or carries her in my arms around the house, she soon gets tired and goes to sleep after.

Your cats will be fine. As Advised above, set up a convenient sched for playing/interacting with them.Invest in toys. Cats wont mind if they are cheap or expensive ones. Most times they would prefer an empty carton box than an expensive toy from amazon. If you can, put shelves around the apartment for them to climb, a bird feeder in front of your window, etc, anything that would occupy their time.

In my opinion, once you allow them free access outdoors they will get used to it and would demand to be out more. They are much safer inside, unless you can build a mini-catio.

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 of my cats were plucked from the streets so they were initially used to life outdoors. I bought them cat trees, toys etc and play with them on schedule, at least 15 mins in the morning before i leave for work, and half an hour- 1 hour at night before sleeping. My Bourbon, of all my cats, is the only one displaying “boredom” in the house and scratches the windows, doors. But once I play with her again, or carries her in my arms around the house, she soon gets tired and goes to sleep after.

Your cats will be fine. As Advised above, set up a convenient sched for playing/interacting with them.Invest in toys. Cats wont mind if they are cheap or expensive ones. Most times they would prefer an empty carton box than an expensive toy from amazon. If you can, put shelves around the apartment for them to climb, a bird feeder in front of your window, etc, anything that would occupy their time.

In my opinion, once you allow them free access outdoors they will get used to it and would demand to be out more. They are much safer inside, unless you can build a mini-catio.
Yes, I'm beginning to form the opinion that light and inconsistent exposure to the outdoor world do more harm than good. I am considering putting climbing shelves throughout the apartment and have also thought about (and then forgotten) placing a bird feeder on the patio (humming bird feeder already in place). I live on the 3rd floor and have a nice park view and regularly let them out on it. I also run "videos for cats " for them when I'm not home. In addition I'm planning on teaching them some tricks. Regarding hands on interactive play their not nearly as responsive to wand toys as they used to be which is to be expected even after presenting new ones every couple of weeks. Can you give some advice on this point? Thanks for your input!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm beginning to form the opinion that light and inconsistent exposure to the outdoor world do more harm than good. I am considering putting climbing shelves throughout the apartment and have also thought about (and then forgotten) placing a bird feeder on the patio (humming bird feeder already in place). I live on the 3rd floor and have a nice park view and regularly let them out on it. I also run "videos for cats " for them when I'm not home. In addition I'm planning on teaching them some tricks. Regarding hands on interactive play their not nearly as responsive to wand toys as they used to be which is to be expected even after presenting new ones every couple of weeks. Can you give some advice on this point? Thanks for your input!
Wand toys also do not amuse my cats. Give your cats some empty boxes, crumpled papers or you can play with them using a shoe string and let them chase it. You can try laser toys, too.:)

Phoenix88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wand toys also do not amuse my cats. Give your cats some empty boxes, crumpled papers or you can play with them using a shoe string and let them chase it. You can try laser toys, too.:)
Yes, I've offered them all of those and more with varying degrees of success. There are two wand toys that they love and one that they GO CRAZY for. That one I bought from Tomlinson's (not recalling the name at the moment) but it's a feather attachment that twirls on a spindle and looks and sounds like an actual bird flying. They lose their minds over it. The other is the "Cat dancer" (Amazon) Is rolled cardboard pieces on a wire that simulates insect flight. They responded to it more intensely and for a longer time than all others save for the one previously mentioned. You may want to give those a try. Thanks for your input.