Cat Hair Loss

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D6FA8D47-ABF6-4366-8189-3D520B7208DC.jpeg
Hi!
My 2 year old Ragdoll has very thin hair on her neck. Not much hair there at all...
I was wondering what I should do to promote hair growth?
Thank you! :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is she scratching a lot? Does she go outside? Summer this year has been quite hot, which is good weather for fleas, which is why I'm asking. Another possibility is allergies, whether it's environmental (to pollen, a cleaning product), or to food. It's best to ask a vet, as hair loss in cats is usually a sign of skin problems.

This article gives some more information: Skin Conditions In Cats

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this the first time she had lost a lot of fur? Bald spots have medical causes so if the picture is accurate she needs a vet appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m pretty sure it from fleas.. I got her from a friend recently and she already had that bald spot as well as many fleas. I have killed most of the fleas through a bath I can see that the whole bald spot does is growing back now. I was just wondering if there is anything that can speed up the process and have the hair long again fast?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she scratching a lot? Does she go outside? Summer this year has been quite hot, which is good weather for fleas, which is why I'm asking. Another possibility is allergies, whether it's environmental (to pollen, a cleaning product), or to food. It's best to ask a vet, as hair loss in cats is usually a sign of skin problems.

This article gives some more information: Skin Conditions In Cats
I only keep her indoors and no I haven’t seen her scratching since I have her a bath.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m pretty sure it from fleas.. I got her from a friend recently and she already had that bald spot as well as many fleas. I have killed most of the fleas through a bath I can see that the whole bald spot does is growing back now. I was just wondering if there is anything that can speed up the process and have the hair long again fast?
Is she on a flea medication like Advantage or Frontline? These are usually more effective than a bath alone. Also, make sure that you clean your home environment, vacuum your carpets (and throw the bags away after you're done), and wash everything that you can, just to be sure that there aren't anymore fleas or eggs lurking in your home. This article has more information: Cat Fleas

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas and mites can cause hair loss. I use Frontline Plus for my cats.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t think you can speed it up. I guess you can optimize it by feeding her a good diet, hair is protein, after all. Either way, it will grow back eventually. Be patient :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You definitely can't speed it up. After being spayed, Daisy seemed to take forever to grow new abdominal fur (and the shelter vet shaved way too much off). I gave her Wellness Complete Health Kitten Chicken at the time, both wet and dry.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should get her checked for fleas or other parasites... Otherwise it's probably allergies. When we got our cat about 6 months ago she had no hair on her hind legs too... ended up taking her to a dermatologist and got treated for her allergies, now she's the fluffiest cat ever. Honestly it just takes time for hair to grow back though, just be patient, if there aren't any problems (parasites, allergies, etc.) then with time it should grow back.