Cat Had Teeth Pulled, Should She Still Be On Buprenex?

MelG18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Maya had to have some teeth pulled due to swelling she had underneath her eye. This was on the left side, but the vet deemed it appropriate to take teeth from both sides of her top gums. This was Thursday Oct 25th. She got a long lasting pain medication injection during the procedure that was supposed to wear off by Sunday the 28th. We were given Buprenex to start on Sunday morning. On Saturday, she did not touch her breakfast. Took her to the ER where they anticipated the long lasting pain injection might've worn off sooner.

Her last dose of Buprenex was Monday morning (29th). I'm wondering is she's still in pain and may need more pain medicine? She's still sleeping a bit more than usual and sometimes will lift her head and stare off randomly. She's been drinking a lot of water. She also for some reason refuses to go into my parents bedroom anymore, which is very odd because she usually loves sleeping in my parents bed.

Other than that, she's had no vomiting or diarrhea. I'm worried that she might still be in pain. I wish they could tell us :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had two teeth pulled and was given nothing but antibiotics. He was fine and ate hard food, his choice, the day he came home. He acted like nothing had happened! Maybe the pain med is causing all your cats reactions? Call your vet that did the procedure and discuss it with him. I just had a tooth pulled and i was fine within two days, the first was the worst. The second day was just a mild ache.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried offering her something extra soft like baby food? If she's not eating, her mouth probably doesn't feel great.

When my cat gets teeth pulled she gets a good amount of pain meds. If she gets quite a few pulled she's on pain meds for 1.5-2 weeks. If she gets 1 pulled she stays on them for like 4-5 days (given twice a day) after the powerful shot wears off. She generally eats very minimal food for 2 weeks afterward.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a tooth pulled last year and another pulled about a week ago, and we didnt take home any pain meds either time. They gave her a shot at the vet that lasted 24 hours and she was fine the same day both times.
It sounds like your kitty had multiple teeth pulled. Are their sutures? Maybe if there are multiple, it's just a little uncomfortable for her, or a new sensation and it's making her not want to eat?

Was she given anything else while she was there? Is it possible she is having a reaction to an antibiotic or something they gave her? I don't want to cause you to panic, but felt I should mention it just incase it's a possibility. My kitty had an antibiotic shot in September when they discovered her liver enzymes were elevated and by the time we got her to the e-vet, they thought she was experiencing fluid overload from the IV her primary vet had her on, but it was actually a negative reaction to the antibiotic shot. The symptoms she had were much different than your kitty and were within hours, but of course negative reactions come in all shapes and sizes, so it may be worth checking to see if she received anything else while she was there that may be contributing, especially if it's a long acting antibiotic or something similar.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My previous cat had two teeth pulled two years ago. We were given pain meds for a full week. But the vet also had us watch for any unusual symptoms because he said it's not uncommon for a cat to 'react' to an antibiotic. Fortunately, there were no issues.