Cat had one kitten and been a while since she has gotten up.she eats and drinks but hasnt gone to the bathroom yet.and is still swollen.

Ksoule28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cant afford to take her to the vet as i am currently waiting on decision from ssi.any advice on what i should do or could do??please help i dont wanna loose my cat 😭

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things now?

Maybe there's something here, perhaps not in time for your current situation, but can you talk to your vet about a payment plan for your mama kitty now?

Is she allowing the first one to nurse? If not you'll need to step in right away with Kitten milk replacer, and even the corner of a clean makeup remover/application sponge can be used to get it to suckle .

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is info for newborn kittens;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksoule28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things now?

Maybe there's something here, perhaps not in time for your current situation, but can you talk to your vet about a payment plan for your mama kitty now?

Is she allowing the first one to nurse? If not you'll need to step in right away with Kitten milk replacer, and even the corner of a clean makeup remover/application sponge can be used to get it to suckle .

Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Shes been sleeping alot now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its difficult for us to decide what is going on. Because, pauses between birth are quite common. And the uterus being swollen after a birth is common too, so its often forumists think there is one kitten more, while momma is done.
So the usual advice is, if momma is OK, no visible troubles, you can wait and see. Do observe, but you can calmly wait.

But here it seems its not so clear cut easy, here may be problems, if I read off correctly your messages.
And if so, the only safe course is to let a good vet check her up, and if necessary, help her out.

You say she has eaten and drank, but not used the litter. How long ago did she used the litter as latest?
She sleeps alot now. This may be alarming!
And her first child was dead, possibly suffocated during birth.

Was it a long, prolonged birth? With cats, the prelabor may be quite long, but the active pushing phase is much shorter than with humans. Seldom longer than 20-30 minutes, usually shorter.

I mean, a prolonged labor did of course exhaust her... But if it wasnt prolonged, she shouldnt be that exhausted, and thus, more alarming...

Are there any more signs which are worrying?

If she eats again, try to give her something rich in calcium. Youghurt, a little mild cheese...
You can smear some white caro syrup or honey with water on her lips and gum. This gives quick energhy.

K Ksoule28

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your cat doing now?

Sometimes a kitten does suffocate in the birth canal. I’m sorry it happened to her first kitten.

As long as mother cat is doing fine you should just wait. If she has more kittens she will birth them when they and her body are ready.

Please keep us updated.

K Ksoule28