Cat Had Dental Surgery... Buprenex Mixed W/ Food? Help.

hbeaudoin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor cat had an intense dental surgery on Wed. He is a very difficult cat to adminster meds to (will barely even let us hold him, is very strong and in the past it's been very traumatic for all of us despite trying all the methods the vet has shown us). Therefore, we decided on a pain patch to relieve that stress! Unfortunately, the pain patch would not stay on so we had to take it off and resort to liquid meds.

My vet gave me a couple days worth of Buprenex (0.25 mL by mouth every 2 hours). She told me that it's OK to mix with food if we can't get it in orally. We were planning to do it this way because it's just impossible... well now that I'm googling, everything I read says you have to administer it in the gums and it CAN'T be swallowed. WTF?! I'm very annoyed about being given false information.

Is this true -- can I not give it to him in food? I really don't know what I'll do otherwise...

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always done pain medication injections shortly after oral surgery before she was sent home. They last 2-3 days. Most recently is was Simbadol. Much less stressful than trying to administer properly along the gum line.
What's also peculiar to me is that the oral is every 2 hours? buprenorphine was only once or twice per day when Tom had to have it after treatment for urinary blockages.

alexsch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I'm late to the party, but for anyone else that is curious. My 1 year old just had a full mouth teeth extraction except for the 4 canines and it is very difficult to get it in her mouth. First you can try waiting until they fall asleep and then quickly squirting it in their cheek. Or you can grab them by the scruff with their body between your legs so they can't backup and they won't be able to move.

If that doesn't work I confirmed with my veterinarian that you can indeed mix it with food. I am taking one spoonful of wet food and mixing in .2 mL into the food. The vet said this is perfectly ok and should still get absorbed to some extent, although you are correct that if swallowed it has no effect.

I'm giving m y cat .2 mL every 8 hours. The every 2 hours seems like way too much just so you guys know.