Cat Had A Seizure Please Help

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke up this morning and thought it was odd that my eldest, Mimi, wasnt in bed with me. I wenr looking for her and found her in the basement seizing. We rushed her to the vet where they told me she was in critical condition. She's still there in the incubator warming up and coming off valium.

I have no idea how long she was down there for and im so scared it was hours. I cannot stop crying. She tried to snuggle with me three times in a row last night and i just pushed her away and my heart is absolutely shattered in millions of pieces.

I have no idea what to expect, what to think, or what to do.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I have no experience of seizures in cats (I unfortunately do with humans), I wanted to let you know I am so sorry you’re going through this. Don’t feel guilty, you had no way of knowing this would happen and right now she needs your support and love. I know you’ll be there for her to love her in this moment and I guarantee she knows she has been loved through all of this. I am so sorry this has happened. I will keep Mimi in my thoughts. :vibes: Please keep us updated as I will be thinking and worrying about Mimi too.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree you shouldn’t feel guilty. You had no way of knowing the seizure was coming. You got Mimi the help she needed and she knows you love her. Right now, you need the vet find out what caused the seizure and get her the appropriate treatment.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
She's had another little seizure but they caught it in time and stabalized her quickly. They said her bloodsugar was low which i find odd considering the fact they gave her sugar previously to bring it up since it was low to begin with.
I'm hoping this is diabetes related and she recuperates quickly and be back home where she belongs.

With all the cats I've had in my lifetime, I've never gone through something as traumatic as this. My heart is beyond shattered.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, my thoughts and my heart are with you. It is only a couple of weeks ago that I saw a close friend go through something similar when their young cat managed to ingest some kind of poison. The guilt she has felt about being busy and not instantly realizing the playing sounds were in fact her cat having a seizure have been terrible even though he was underneath furniture and she couldn't see him, and that as soon as she saw what was happening he was rushed to the emergency vets.

He too was kept in and was on intravenous fluids and given diazepam to stabilize. He was at the hospital over night and then at her regular vet for a further 12 hours so in total away from home 24 hours and it felt like an eternity for my friend and everyone else who knows her cat. I think everyone who knew what was happening was in tears and had a sleepless night, and it is one long night I will never forget.

People are here for you and willing your Mimi to be strong and get through this episode, and that the vets can figure out what is causing the seizures so they can be stopped and to get her home to you as soon as possible. Try to keep your hopes for her up and tell yourself that she can get through this, and that these things happen, it is not something that you have done. What you have done is get her to the vet quickly so that they can do everything they can to get her stable and well again.

My friend's cat managed to pull through the seizures and the poison he ingested but I am sure it stunned the vets as much as it did all of us having seen him when the seizures started to happen. It was very frightening. I think even once he was home it took a long time to feel calm and not be watching every second in case he started to have another seizure. It is so shocking to see a cat having continuous seizures and to feel so helpless and I know my friend is still in shock and struggling with what happened even though her little one seems to have completely recovered from his episode.

Please try to let us know how things go, and how you are doing.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
She's had another little seizure but they caught it in time and stabalized her quickly. They said her bloodsugar was low which i find odd considering the fact they gave her sugar previously to bring it up since it was low to begin with.
I'm hoping this is diabetes related and she recuperates quickly and be back home where she belongs.

With all the cats I've had in my lifetime, I've never gone through something as traumatic as this. My heart is beyond shattered.

Watching a cat have a seizure is awful. My cat Herman had a seizure disorder.
His 1st few seizures were so frightening to see. I am sorry you are going through this. Let us know what happens. Many times, they don't know what causes the seizures (unless they ingested something or is a complication of another illness), but treatment is available. It sucks, I know and again, I am sorry and wish you and your baby didn't have to go through this.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never dealt with seizures in cats, but I've had them myself. Mine are the result of a benign brain tumor, combined with the surgery that removed it, but they only happen when my blood sugar is too low, and even then they don't happen if I've been taking a very low dose of Keppra. In general I just rely on managing my diabetes; I can tell when my blood sugar is too low and immediately do something about it when it happens. When I'm having surgery or something that requires conscious sedation I'll take the Keppra for a few days in advance of it so the doctors don't get nervous, but when I broke my wrist the E.R. doctor had to use conscious sedation to set it and it's not like I knew that was coming and took Keppra in advance so that really is more to keep the doctors happy than because I need it.

Margret

• Purraise
Reactions: A.w

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She spent the night at the vet, no other seizures but she's still just laying there... i'm so scared she's paralyzed or something

l cant help but think of the times she wanted to snuggle and i brushed her off very much hate myself for that and i dont think i can forgive myself for it.

I just wanr her home... happy and healthy.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update:
No progress since last night so the vet thinks she has permanent brain damage :'(
I'm on my way to her now to say my goodbyes. My heart is absolutely broken and my guilt has bever been stronger. I wish i would have woken up early to find her and maybe i'd still have her :'(

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don’t blame yourself. You responded as soon as you knew there was a problem. Your cat was loved and knew it and now you are giving her one last gift.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sad to read your update of a few hours ago. I know we were all fearful of that happening here with my friend's cat and my heart is with you.

I know you are blaming yourself for what has happened but seizures happen so suddenly and often without warning so getting Mimi to the vet quickly was the best you could do. I doubt any of us could honestly say we have never continued with something when we have been busy or interested in it and not given in to our cats' calls for our attention: the important thing is that Mimi has had a life knowing how much you love her and your not snuggling with her that night will not have changed that.

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Final update:

My baby had permanent brain damage and i had to let her go this morning. My heart is beyond broken and I'm filled with anguish and sorrow. She was always on my shoulder or nuzzled up next to me. My baby girl. My beautiful baby girl <\3 :'(

Attachments

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss today. Mimi was a gorgeous cat and obviously very sweet. Poor Mimi will no longer suffer another seizure then and there is no doubt in my mind she knew how loved she was. And obviously that love was returned too.

I'll quote someone who said this to me. "Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven." She'll be waiting for you there. You'll see her and hug her again one day. I'm sure of it.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Final update:

My baby had permanent brain damage and i had to let her go this morning. My heart is beyond broken and I'm filled with anguish and sorrow. She was always on my shoulder or nuzzled up next to me. My baby girl. My beautiful baby girl <\3 :'(
I am so sorry. Take the best care of yourself that you can as you grieve. I went to a therapist after I lost my guy to heal.