Cat Had 3 Teeth Removed Not Really Sleeping

RJ21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Ninja had 3 teeth removed on Wednesday during his dental. The vet gave him Simbodol that day and said it would last about 3 days. Wanted to give him an NSAID too but I had read online that they shouldn't take those when they are on corticosteriods so the simbodol is the only pain med he had. He is eating, using the litter box fine but he is not sleeping (as far as I know). He is usually up by 4 am has his breakfast and by 8 am he is sleeping. Not yesterday though.

Yesterday (Thursday) he was just hypervigalant and was in his box and his head stayed up the whole time and he was starving. I am just wondering if anyone had this reaction in their cat. I called the vet yesterday and she said if he doesn't sleep today she would give him something for that to help him. I don't know if he slept last night but every time I checked on his he was on his perch (usually he sleeps on the couch fully stretched out).

Just wondering if anyone had a cat that had dental and then wouldn't really sleep. Thanks.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems it’s pretty common with this pain medication from my own experience and what I’ve read on here. Dilated pupils restlessness, scarfing food, etc. Moo was like that for 72+ hours after he had extractions the second time. It wasn’t administered to him for his first dental/extractions and I requested him to never have it again at his dental last week. He got antibiotics and a steroid injection and he was his normal self right when he got home. Just keep an eye on your kitty and read some other user experiences of their cats with this drug.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RJ21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems it’s pretty common with this pain medication from my own experience and what I’ve read on here. Dilated pupils restlessness, scarfing food, etc. Moo was like that for 72+ hours after he had extractions the second time. It wasn’t administered to him for his first dental/extractions and I requested him to never have it again at his dental last week. He got antibiotics and a steroid injection and he was his normal self right when he got home. Just keep an eye on your kitty and read some other user experiences of their cats with this drug.
Thanks for that. The vet we are using now is very good but sometimes I think that they just don't get enough people calling about side effects that may not be on the inserts with the medications. Good news is he actually slept for 2 hours this morning on his side with his little paw stretched out and holding the edge of the perch (like normal) so I am hoping the sambodol is starting to wear off. That is why I don't like anything long lasting in his system and refused the covenia shot for him. This way if there is a reaction I can just discontinue treatment of said medication and not have to wait for it to wear off.

Something I will definitely keep in mind for his next dental (which my not be for a few years - I think the once a year recommendations are a bit over the top unless you have a cat that has ongoing issues with their mouth like FOLR's) - Am I the only one that thinks that? I mean is it really wise to put a cat under once a year for this?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to hear Ninja is getting some well needed rest! I really don’t believe this is a dangerous drug, I just think vets need to do better to advise owners of possible behaviors associated with it. It is an opiate so it’s pretty heavy stuff. I’m sure it varies from cat to cat but Moo’s reaction was scary enough I requested he never be given the drug again for anything.

As for yearly dentals I’m not sure. I think that’s another cat to cat issue. Some people brush their cats teeth (I was told by vet to use gauze not a brush), give foods aimed at cleaning tartar and also there are water additives I’ve recently learned about. I’m sure your vet will recommend what’s needed at Ninja’s yearly exams. For now I’m doing the yearly cleanings since he’s only four and has already had seven extractions. Once he becomes a senior or his blood panel comes back funky I might change my mind on that. Hopefully Ninja is back to his normal self soon!

RJ21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad to hear Ninja slept well this morning.
Here are a few threads regarding medication and side effects after a tooth extraction that may be helpful:
Cat Not Eating After Tooth Extraction?
What complications are possible after feline dental extractions?
And an Article about what some people recommend to maintain their cat's dental health: What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care

Best of luck, hope Ninja feels back to normal very soon. :alright:
Thanks for the links. I will definitely check them out.

RJ21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear Ninja is getting some well needed rest! I really don’t believe this is a dangerous drug, I just think vets need to do better to advise owners of possible behaviors associated with it. It is an opiate so it’s pretty heavy stuff. I’m sure it varies from cat to cat but Moo’s reaction was scary enough I requested he never be given the drug again for anything.

As for yearly dentals I’m not sure. I think that’s another cat to cat issue. Some people brush their cats teeth (I was told by vet to use gauze not a brush), give foods aimed at cleaning tartar and also there are water additives I’ve recently learned about. I’m sure your vet will recommend what’s needed at Ninja’s yearly exams. For now I’m doing the yearly cleanings since he’s only four and has already had seven extractions. Once he becomes a senior or his blood panel comes back funky I might change my mind on that. Hopefully Ninja is back to his normal self soon!
I don't think it is a bad pain medication but I wish the vets would be a little more versed in the side effects like Ninja has and you did.

Yeah I think the dentals are whatever works best for each individual cat as some are more prone to the tarter build up faster than others. A good vet won't just do the dental every year to make money. I have been to quite a few and only was lucky to find this vet through a recommendation.