Cat had 1 baby, 15 hours later and nothing else? Still looks very pregnant

bjm92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cats for litter, she had her first baby at 11am it is now 2.20am the next day so has been around 15 hours since she gave birth to first baby.
Her tummy is still VERY big like she hasn't even given birth, she still looks the same as she did before she had her baby, it's very hard and I am sure more kittens are inside ?? All signs of labour have stopped and she is very content and has been since having the baby, she is feeding the baby and cleaning it, she is up walking around a little, eating and drinking too.
Just acting Normal !!
I did phone to vet yesterday afternoon and I have to take her in tomorrow once it has been 24 hours.

Has anyone experienced this and what was your outcome, I am hoping no babies have died inside [emoji]128546[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bjm92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First litter sorry ^

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal. As long as she's not in distress she will go back into labor when she's ready to have the others.

Please know that cats can get pregnant again very soon after delivering - even a week. Please don't allow her to go outside at all until the kittens are eight weeks old and she can be spayed.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen to a cat of mine.She delivered three kittens when my kids startled her (I should have known better and am still beating myself up for it) and she stopped labor. I could see more kittens moving around in her stomach. I called the vet and she said to come in immediately. I took her and the kittens she'd had in. The vet gave her a shot and said everything looked fine. On the way home, the cat delivered another kitten and went on to deliver two more. They were all fine in the end. That was her largest litter, six kittens in all. Her last too, I might add.

So my advice is to call your vet immediately and take your cat and her kitten in. The vet can determine if she needs to deliver more kittens, and give her a shot to produce labor.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really unnecessary to bring your cat in unless she is in distress. I would advise you not to bring her in unless you have reason to be concerned. Cats often stop and start labor naturally.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is my cats for litter, she had her first baby at 11am it is now 2.20am the next day so has been around 15 hours since she gave birth to first baby.
Her tummy is still VERY big like she hasn't even given birth, she still looks the same as she did before she had her baby, it's very hard and I am sure more kittens are inside ?? All signs of labour have stopped and she is very content and has been since having the baby, she is feeding the baby and cleaning it, she is up walking around a little, eating and drinking too.
Just acting Normal !!
I did phone to vet yesterday afternoon and I have to take her in tomorrow once it has been 24 hours.

Has anyone experienced this and what was your outcome, I am hoping no babies have died inside [emoji]128546[/emoji]
I agree with TalkingPeanut, you can  wait as long as she is apparently in no trouble..  Observe closely as it may quickly turn out to be touchy, but the overall risk calculus is to wait:

cats tend to manage a little too long pregnancy well, unlike humans, but kittens dont manage well too short pregnancy...

Of course, as you DO have access to a good vet, phone and discuss this over, but dont demant he does anything rash.  Quite often they vets do things not because they deem it necessary or wise, but because they know they are expected to do something...  Let the vet know you are prepared to wait and abserve, ask if he goes along with it.

bjm92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice!!
It's now 6.30am and still no more babies, mumma cat is still fine and calm and so is kitten!!
I will be ringing the vet at 11am to see what he thinks and will express that I am happy to wait it out at home with her

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can mate with several males over the span of many days.  Each kitten will be delivered according to when it was conceived.  It is not uncommon for a cat to deliver more kittens even a week later.  So unless she is in distress I would wait it out.

There are a few threads on here where vets have acted too soon and preemie kittens were lost and C-sections are hard on the moms.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice!!
It's now 6.30am and still no more babies, mumma cat is still fine and calm and so is kitten!!
I will be ringing the vet at 11am to see what he thinks and will express that I am happy to wait it out at home with her
Keep us posted on the outcome. Good luck!

bjm92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok she has just had another baby!!!
Newest kitten is alive and well

bjm92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise