Cat gum disease and FIV

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do badly receded gums and mouth ulcets mean a cat with FIV has progressed to the AIDS stage? My cat was diagnosed with FIV last year, with the reason being I brought him into the vet being that he had ulcers in his mouth. Recently, when I went to the vet, I was told his gums had been receding. Is this typical of cats with any stage of FIV infection? He is a healthy weight, energetic, has a good appetite, and recently fully got over a UTI? The vet who diagnosed him with FIV last year said most cats die within 3 years of diagnosis, while the new vet I have seen this year says it varies greatly and used the term FIV, instead of felines AIDS, which the first vet did, in reference to my cat.

Jesse James

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. It's not the same thing. FIV is feline immunodeficiency virus in cats, similar to human AIDS but not the same thing. The mouth ulcers and receding gums could be a result of his weakened immune system or something else entirely. It doesn't necessarily mean the virus is progressing. Your vet should be able to answer that question.

I have had several cats with FIV. The first one tested positive for FIV when he first came to me. He was about 4 or 5 years old at the time. He lived to be 18 years old and was never sick a day in his life. The second cat was 6 months old when he found me. Vet said he got FIV from his mother. When kittens get FIV, they don't usually live beyond 3 years old. He died when he was 3. My third cat with FIV is still alive. He came to me when he was about 2 or 3. He's now 7 or 8 and has always been healthy. I think it depends on many, many different things as to how long an FIV cat will live.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was he under some unusual stress recently which might have brought on the mouth issues? As mentioned in your August 2020 thread about his mouth ulcers, this is going tto be a recurring issue with him, as mouth issues are something FIV cats are prone to. Does it mean it's progressing rapidly? No. But it could mean he's been under some stress recently which caused this flare up. Did you ever get him neutered? Are you keeping him inside now for the most part? Did you get him a dental in August when this first came up? Do you brush his teeth to make sure you are doing everything you can for his dental health? Sorry for all the questions, but they are important to know the full story.