Cat Gulping Sound? Please Help

cudd1ebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever had there cat hard gulp ? It comes and goes but it's not a hairball as far as I know. Are there any other conditions that may cause this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I believe there may be other conditions, but it would be best if you can get a video of your cat while it is happening, and send it in to your vet to see what they say.
Let us know - we'll worry about your baby :vibes::goodluck:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Anything that causes irritation to the throat can cause cats to gulp like you describe. Has your cat had his or her teeth checked recently? Peridontal disease is associated with infections and if the back teeth are especially bad, any resulting infection can cause irritation in the throat.

This is worth a trip to the vet. Your kitty may need an antibiotic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cudd1ebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bump

cudd1ebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My phone can't handle sending videos. But I just bought some hairball gel because it might actually be a hairball. I'm hoping I see a big glob when I come home tonight. Idk how fast this stuff works or which end it'll come out. But she is eating drinking and pooping so I think we can make it till payday. She's a longhair cat.

cudd1ebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has prayer ever helped anyone's cat here. Not a prayer that the vet can do his job but a prayer that has healed your cat miraculously.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know personally, I would think yes. Not necessarily scientifically provable, but on the other hand there's certainly no harm and likely a lot of good from it.

Molly1000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was gulping, while sitting on me earlier today. It had me so worried, I logged on here to see if anyone has ever asked about that. He's long haired, siamese mix, looks very much like the photo of the cat you have as your profile pic. He's been puking up hairballs so much as of late, I am worried about him. Her is 12 years old. He's been on food for hairballs, but nothing seems to help. He never used to puke undigested food with the hairball. Poor guy loves soft food, but if he eats less soft food, he pukes less and I don't step on wet food vomit with hair.

I wonder if it is his throat from coughing up such a long and thick hairball earlier today. It was the longest hairball I had ever seen.

terris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat has constipation issues. His vet put him on Lactulose for it. Just found out this week that the gulping came from the Lactlose. Yes, his vet confirmed this.
Is your cat on any medications, as it could be the cause.