Cat Growls and hisses at me and kitten

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is a bit of a story and there lots of pieces to it that gives context to my vague thread title but here it goes.
First off, I moved into a 2-story house with 3 roommates. When I moved in, I (obviously) brought my cat (Sarabi) with me. Within a few days, Sarabi terrified me by jumping on the 2nd story window. In order for her to do that, she had to jump from the stair railings (the distance required a diagonal leap) and what scared me most was that it was long fall if she misses as it was tile floor on the ground. Out of fear what happens if she tried and failed, I moved her completely in my room (she had 3 windows to look out of). I would let her out often in the mornings and late night before and after work to keep her from feeling completely caged.

Flash forward and my roommate rescues a kitten in a parking lot. She takes ownership and the 1st thing she did was let him live in the living area as she didn't want him in her room at all. I knew we couldn't immediately let the cats know each other so I thought I'd keep her confined until the kitten went to the vet and got his 1st shots (We already took him for a physical checkup, vet said they wanted him back in 2 weeks). She never did take him and I got tired of leaving my cat in my room so I let her out to meet the kitten. From there, it was low tolerance at 1st sight. Sarabi wanted nothing to do with the kitten. Any attempts of play or even approaching my cat would earn a hiss and grow but just as often the kitten would up giving chase to my cat (running upstairs where she would be trapped or going in my room) and would end up under the bed. I didn't know what to do in these situations but I thought it best to remove my cat and separate the 2. If she wasn't in my room, I would pick her up and take her there and she would growl loudly. As soon as she was in my room, she would quiet down and relax.

I'm typing this long message b/c today, the growling escalated. Sarabi wanted out of my room when I came home from work. Shortly after, I wanted to go to bed and I always take Sarabi with me. When I got to her, she was growling as usual so I backed off and sat on the floor. She quieted so I slowly reached out to her. I was only going to pet her but she attacked my hand. The kitten got curious and Sarabi ran for my room.

Her bite wasn't harsh and left no scar but I'm frustrated by these events. Sarabi changes completely when she leaves my room. Is it dominance? Territory? Do I need to reintroduce? Let them figure it out? The kitten is older now and still needs to be neutered but would that make a lot of difference? (Sarabi is fixed btw). (Below is her getting up on the window). Also, sorry for long post. Didn't want to leave anything out.
IMG_2029.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Hopefully we'll be able to help a bit in solving your feline issues. But first off, WOW, at that window! I certainly understand your concern if Sarabi falls! Just looking at the picture scares me. I think I'd be trying to figure out something to block it so neither Sarabi, or the kitten, could get onto it.

But about your reason for posting. How old is the kitten now? If she's nearing 6 months, she'll be going into heat soon, so that could certainly affect the already not great relationship between the 2 cats. Also, how long has she been in the home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*The kitten is a he and I think he is past that age which does worry me. I bothered the roommate about 5x to get him fixed as soon as he hit that age. Early on, my roommate brought up a relatively inexpensive place and kept saying she's got it covered but she never took him. She later said the place is closed on her days off so she needs someone to drop him off and pick him up for her, which I found frustrating because she can get vacation days off for her trip in Asia and Europe but can't/won't get 1 day off to take her cat to get neutered at the vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... maybe you should offer to take him to the vet. But only, of course, if you know she'll pay the neutering bill. If the kitten is reaching maturity, that could certainly add to the issues with your cat. And the older he gets, the greater chance of him starting to spray. And I doubt any of you want that. :sigh:

Here's some TCS articles on cat introductions that might be helpful:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

And about your cat's aggression, a few on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite

As well as:
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'll start with that and go from there

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just spoke to the roommate with some life changing news. I agreed to take the cat in for shots and neutering, she would pay for the visits. But she also said after that, she's giving him up to a friend. She said she's been the only one taking care of the cat when it's supposed to a combined effort, which not gonna lie, I was stunned because when I moved in with Sarabi, I expected no one to take of her for me at all. When my roommate was out of town, my other rommate was happy to take care of the cat for her minus the litter box. It got so bad, I was left with no choice but dump everything out and put in completely new litter. And it affected me because the litter box was in the spare bathroom across from my bedroom on the 1st floor. Everyone else lives on the 2nd floor.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does sound as though your roommate wanted to rescue a kitten not care for a kitten. If she has a responsible person who is interested I would agree with that solution.

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We didn't exactly prepare to take him in. He was literally rescued from parents of the roommate, who found him in their car engine while they were at a supermarket. They couldn't take him in so he was left to us.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good, I guess, that's she found a new home for him. That should make your cat much more happier. I'd still be worried about that ledge to window leap.

Lazy Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not really sure what to do about it either. We don't have a ladder that reaches and well, I'm still afraid she might try it. Anyways, I'm not worried the kitten will try it. Doesn't seem too adventurous compared to Sarabi.