Cat grooms other cat

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m just curious what people think about this. I don’t see any reason to worry about anything and this is probably a good thing. My wife and I have 2 cats. One is a 2 year-old boy and the other is a 1 year-old girl. They aren’t biologically related at all. We had the boy for over a year before getting the girl. At first the boy hated her but now there are times (usually at night) when they will spend a long time playing. I see her walk over to him a couple times a day to get cleaned. He does most of the cleaning, but she’ll clean him a little. Why does she walk over to him to get cleaned? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not only do they like each other, they trust and rely on each other. This is about as good as it can get!
I thought so. Thank you. It has been great, stressful, and fascinating watching their relationship change. Socks (the older boy who we got when he could fit in my hand) hissed and spat at her at first, then they started playing, but he had never been around another animal so he scratched her all the time when they were playing. He’s very lazy so he rests, sleeps, and just looks around the house when Angel (the younger female) loves attention and playing. Now they both sleep most of the day and play at night unless they are sleeping in the bedroom. We got Angel because we thought Socks needed a friend to play with. He used to bite and scratch me every day. Now all he does is kneed me. I’m definitely his favor person. He’s not a people cat.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a good thing. Cats that are comfortable with each other will allogroom (the scientific name for this behavior). Your cats like each other!
Yes. It's a social behavior. Cats that are comfortable will groom each other. It's quite common.

It is also normal for one cat to groom the other more frequently. Typically the dominant one will groom the less dominant one more often.

Also, if your cat is kneading on you, that means he likes you and is comfortable with you.
Kittens do it on their mothers in order to get milk and, when they grow up, they do it when they feel safe and comfortable as they did when they were with their mother.

Basically, you've got a couple of happy cats! :)

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. It's a social behavior. Cats that are comfortable will groom each other. It's quite common.

It is also normal for one cat to groom the other more frequently. Typically the dominant one will groom the less dominant one more often.

Also, if your cat is kneading on you, that means he likes you and is comfortable with you.
Kittens do it on their mothers in order to get milk and, when they grow up, they do it when they feel safe and comfortable as they did when they were with their mother.

Basically, you've got a couple of happy cats! :)
I know it’s been a little while since I made this thread, but is there any reason my older male cat who I got when he was a kitten always kneads the left side of my stomach? Why not the right? Thanks.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s been a little while since I made this thread, but is there any reason my older male cat who I got when he was a kitten always kneads the left side of my stomach? Why not the right? Thanks.
My Boone prefers to suckle/knead my left arm over my right. Who knows why but he will try to do it on the right arm and immediately switch to the left. Maybe it's more comfortable. Maybe I am more squishy on my left side than my right. :lol:

Tlifter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Boone prefers to suckle/knead my left arm over my right. Who knows why but he will try to do it on the right arm and immediately switch to the left. Maybe it's more comfortable. Maybe I am more squishy on my left side than my right. :lol:
Haha. I was curious if there is something biological or just preference. Thanks.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apollo loves to groom Casey. The funny thing is during play time Casey is the dominant cat. Casey will groom Apollo but only after Apollo starts grooming him first. After the grooming session ends there is always play time. I love watching the two of them interact. They are not siblings but were adopted one year apart. Casey is the younger one of the two. I have to rub Apollo down with dirty laundry every time he goes to the vet. The first thing he does after getting out of the carrier is seek out Casey to groom him. It is kind of interesting to watch because Casey always hisses at all my cats after a vet visit. He still lets Apollo groom him while he is hissing at him. I just let them be since there is no actual aggression.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really know, but one of mine has a specific way he wants me to lay on the couch. He cries and acts upset when I don't assume the proper position. Only after I move into his desired place will he come up and sleep on me.