Cat grieving advice please.

Riccana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in, but recently I lost my baby boy, Smokey last week, Artemis (8 yrs old) has been howling middle of the night and now hiding under the bed a lot more. Cloud is also here (2 years old) but I am scared Smokey's passing is too much for Artemis where Clouds comfort isn't enough.

Any suggestions on what I can do more for Artemis? I keep checking on him and giving lots of love.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. Time and patience is really all you can do. When Artemis howls at night you can try calling to him, sometimes hearing our voice is a comfort. It is really early in his loss though and he may give up the howling in a few weeks. Other than that sticking to you and your cats‘ usual routine is very important as things happening as they normally do is also very comforting and important to a cat.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:. Condolences on Smokey's passing. Comfort grooming and training may help Artemis rebuild his confidence - his little cat world has been shattered by losing his best buddy. Was Artemis able to view the remains? I have found that it helps the other kitties to have a wake of sorts, so they realize what has happened and that shortens the mourning period. Regardless, it is clear that Artemis is feeling grief as much as any human and I appreciate your patience and loving kindness to him - my heart breaks for all the other pets whose humans are not so sympathetic. Hugs to you all during this difficult time 💔🙏💞

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, as other's have said time and plenty of TLC. For my boy play was a huge distraction, At night when he was looking for his brother I would say to him, yes i know I miss him too. And bring him onto the bed for cuddles. It's heartbreaking seeing the one left behind I found the first couple of weeks were the hardest. But it does get better for them just like it does for us.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my kitties 3 months ago, am still mourning his loss. I have many other indoor cats and his sister, Minnie, was very close to him, Tiger, and for the first few weeks she would wander around the house looking restless. I think she was looking for him. But she has another brother and several other cats who have occupied her.
May your little boy be in heaven now and at peace….I know how heart breaking it is for both of you…..prayers for you and Artemis..🙏🏻