Cat grass!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I recently began collecting houseplants. My cats love to chew on leaves so I grew them some organic white oat grass which I gave to them for the first time this morning (they loved it!) My question is to those who give their cats cat grass, how often do you provide it? Do you leave it out all the time? I'm just afraid of them eating too much (though I'm basing this off their first taste. Novelty hasn't worn off yet so they kept going until I took it away). They're both healthy indoor cats ( the longhair gets hairballs which is also why I gave her grass).

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele grows cat grass in a 6-inch pot, and when it gets to a certain height, she clips it off and gives it out to our cats. The intervals at which they get it depends on how long it takes to regrow. We don't leave it out for them, as they would eat it down to the roots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Michele grows cat grass in a 6-inch pot, and when it gets to a certain height, she clips it off and gives it out to our cats. The intervals at which they get it depends on how long it takes to regrow. We don't leave it out for them, as they would eat it down to the roots.
Thanks!! That's a good idea!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I grow grass, I offer the pot to my cat while the grass is still fresh and young. I only let him have a few pieces at a time because he otherwise will gobble everything too quickly and :barf: I keep the pot out of reach of my cat for the same reason.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I leave it out all the time. It's in a pot on her cat tree. She will rub her face on it. When she's nibbling it, then looks at me I know usually it means "Hey Mom! Food time!" Sometimes I will pull out a blade or 2 and she'll try to grab them from me.

The only time it was a problem was when I transitioned from full time home to full time back at work. I was leaving her a kibble snack for later, but she was eating it right after I left the door. The cat grass looked like a cow had eating it. I noticed one morning when I had to go back for my phone that she was eating her kibble snack immediately when I was out the door. By the time I got home from work she was so hungry she was eating the grass like a salad. Once I got a timed feeder, it eliminated her need for a salad and now she only occasionally nibbles at it to give me the hint of "dinnertime".

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 6 cats, if we were to leave the pot out, it would be down to bare dirt in no time flat. Rather, when it gets to be 4 or 5 inches high, it gets cut back to about an inch or so, and each cat gets 6 or 7 blades apiece. We have done this for several years now, and only start new after 3 'crops'.