Cat grass

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! So I bought some cat grass for my cats, and theyre enjoying it very much. One of them has had it before, but the kittens have not. For some reason all of them are ripping out the roots and seeds (which is new for the one who's already had it before) though and trying to eat the whole thing. Is that safe for them to be eating the seeds and roots as well as the grass? I dont mind growing more; I bought a 15 pound bag of seed. I just don't want them getting sick from it.

And before you ask why I dont cut it for them, I've tried and they won't eat it like that. They like to forage it themselves or something, idk. And it feels better to just let them have the fresh alive grass.

Also also, there is no dirt being ingested. The grass was grown exclusively with water. 🌟

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I have found that anytime my guys ate cat grass, it caused them to throw up. I thought that's exactly WHY they ate it! Isn't that true? Well, whatever, I don't really think eating the seed will do harm, especially since it's grown hydroponically.. Now, let's just hope they aren't like my cats and throw up just because it's grass :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! And hopefully they won't! The cat grass I got is red oat grass I think? Theyre supposed to be able to digest it i believe, and i read it helps prevent hairballs. The adults have never had any problems, so let's hope the kittens don't either.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah only seems to throw it up if she chews off big pieces.

I think she ate 1/4 of the grass from her pot while I was at work. Thankfully no grass throw up so far.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours have utterly destroyed the cat grass whenever we grow it! One of them throws up sometimes, but she throws up sometimes for other things and liked to overeat, and one doesn't.

I swear the stuff is kitty crack. Especially since my one cat doesn't 'get' catnip at all, so this is her obsession.

We probably should grow them some more again.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cats only vet tell me once that cats shouldn’t be encouraged to eat and throw up grass because it scratches and irritates their throat. Contrary to popular belief, cats don’t need to puke on a regular basis.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love cat grass... they never throw it up but they also dont eat the roots and seeds. I like to put my containers down for a while and then remove them for awhile and repeat so they dont eat it all at once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No wonder they're digging up the roots, they smell amazing! I can only liken it to freshly cut watermelon. Luckily they aren't eating the roots, just smelling and rubbing against them. No one has thrown any grass up yet, and I've been adding it to Gizmo's food for extra flavor. ✨