Cat Grass good or bad????

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone i grew my own cat grass and Squishy loves it. I dont know if he ate too much too fat but he threw it ALL up after. Is this normal????

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it's normal. That's the downside to Cat grass, it can make them vomit.

Though the name "Cat grass" is a misnomer as there is actually no such thing, it's usually Wheatgrass but can be other kinds of grass.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup. Normal :) Leroy loves grass and almost always :barf: it back up. With him, I find that if I give him grass shortly before a meal he will throw up. If I give grass a few hours after a meal, he's ok. Probably has to do with his IBD tummy.

Instead of giving the cat the whole pot, offer a single piece at a time and allow your cat to chew and swallow it before giving another one.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves her cat grass too! Luckily she hasn’t yet thrown up from eating it. She nibbles it every morning before her breakfast. It’s like an appetizer 😂

But yeah eating a lot can make them throw up as others have said.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whats great about cat grass.......they stop chewing on other plants on the deck. All non poisonous but not good for them. My theory is that they get vitamin K 2 from it. VERY good stuff K2 especially for us. They dont often puke up the cat grass I grow. I found an 8 ounce bag very cheap at cheweys and it takes about 6 days to sprout and maybe 10 to be munched. Careful of soil you use as they pull it OUT and munch om the roots with soil attached sometimes. Also give them hairball remedy dry treats by Pet Naturals when we run out of grass.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used cat grass for years and get an organic one from Amazon. Some of mine do puke it up but they love it. The biggest issue I had was fleas in the potting mix that I used which then caused an outbreak of tapeworms.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah LOVES her cat grass. Usually I keep it on her cat tree for her. When I see her nibbling her cat grass usually it means she wants to be fed, though sometimes she eats too much cat grass and throws it up, but that's only happened about 5 times.

Sometimes she seems to prefer her cat grass over her food, which is when I take it away and put it on top of the fridge (she's not a climber). I wonder if she was a vegetarian in a previous life :lol::lol::lol: